Am i doing summet wrong

John j

Mono Don
A few times when I blend a wall in . Mainly on emulsion. When its been painted its pulled some of the plaster of. (It' been pva.d) is this down to plaster being on really thin . I always tell customers to paint it with a brush first rather then a roller as this seems to help. Just wondered if there.s a way to stop this

As a non-plasterer, at a guess I'd say it's the moisture in the paint. You've got a very thin coat of skim which is soluble, over a coat of PVA which is also soluble, then it's having a coat of water based paint put over it with a roller which moistens both, then lifts the plaster off as soon as the plaster and PVA get wet.

Sounds weird, I don't know why that's happening to you but maybe advising them to give the edge a light sand before paint would help?

Maybe your pva too strong/too weak?

The fact that plaster is fine enough to 'blend in' nowadays is, IMO, part of the reason it's horrible to work with compared with finish from years ago. You would never been able to blend in with Sirapite or Board finish.

Nah mate iv seen it happen before I usually tell customer to give a light rub down then paint with a brush instead of roller and if any parts lift off then blend a bit of filler and sand again. Iv seen it happen to my work and others too, it doesn’t always happen but annoying when it does

Seen it happen to other guys as well . To be fair I tell customers to use brush first . I don' like mentioning filler and sandpaper lol.

Seen it happen to other guys as well . To be fair I tell customers to use brush first . I don' like mentioning filler and sandpaper lol.
I know exactly where your coming from pal, just doesn’t sound right telling someone they might have to fill and sand their freshly plastered wall/celing whatever but a patch is a patch, if it’s an issue they are always better getting the job lot skimmed

I know exactly where your coming from pal, just doesn’t sound right telling someone they might have to fill and sand their freshly plastered wall/celing whatever but a patch is a patch, if it’s an issue they are always better getting the job lot skimmed
Some times its quicker to go to end of wall to be fair. Once followd some kids and they had borded a arch . Left about 2 inchs allway round . They were a bit rough anyway but why would you do this.

If your close to corners or celing lines it’s a lot easier to skim upto than to feather in, I like the super flex for feathering in makes a nice job

If your close to corners or celing lines it’s a lot easier to skim upto than to feather in, I like the super flex for feathering in makes a nice job
They left 2 inch all way round a double door size arch. Unbelievable. Wasn't even done well

A few times when I blend a wall in . Mainly on emulsion. When its been painted its pulled some of the plaster of. (It' been pva.d) is this down to plaster being on really thin . I always tell customers to paint it with a brush first rather then a roller as this seems to help. Just wondered if there.s a way to stop this
John,,,,plaster should be 2mm if you try to blend it becomes too thin and will come off....i know it happened to me.i now use easy fill on last 50mm then say to customer that this bit that is used in filler must be sanded.easy fill is ideal for blending. Try to convince customer that blending is not a good option.

Plaster is a part of the process of achieving a liveable interior to a dwelling built for shelter from the elements.
The outer shell keeps the weather out. The inside is finished after a fashion, to give us what we require.
We require a flat uniform finish to take paint.
We go from great big bricks and blocks, to plasterboard, to skim, and then to paint. The first coat of paint is just that.......the 1st, implying that there’s more....
and as any painter will tell you, it is they that make everything look fantastic, only by filling and rubbing, again and again......
Now, if the client is going to do the decorations themselves, they have to realise that they must fill, rub and fill again....
Just saying.

Uni does blend in better than other gear , so does vimark gb1 tbh,

Normally I’d say I’ll pop back and easi fill the join for customer as most would make a right bodge of trying too but with the above 2 plasters it’s like that’s what they are designed for

Where I blend I'll use some thined artex sealer of water based undercoat on the edge. Plasters Pva can be a pain to paint and because the wet emulsion soaks through the thin plaster and maybe reactivating the Pva, and cause plaster to come away. Don't use Pva around the edges and see if that works better for you.. Dose me

Do you wait for the pva to dry completely before plastering?

John,,,,plaster should be 2mm if you try to blend it becomes too thin and will come off....i know it happened to me.i now use easy fill on last 50mm then say to customer that this bit that is used in filler must be sanded.easy fill is ideal for blending. Try to convince customer that blending is not a good option.
To be far I would it’s normally the builder who penny pinches and say just skim new boards etc

Just pva a bit further its basics and should blend in perfect :)
I have seen it still coming off when you extend pva.too thin and the paint roller lifts it.a lot of these issues only come to light when you paint your own work.

Last edited:
Where you are going to feather in cut a groove with a stanley knife in exsisting it will marry in perfect

I have seen it still coming off when you extend pva.too thin and the paint roller lifts it.a lot of these issues only come to light when you paint your own work.
I first noticed it on my own gaff lol. That I did other days been painted and looks ok . Unless customer tweaked it .