Amateur Newbie (apologies)

Phil B

Hi All,

I've been reading through some very interesting and informative posts on here and I feel some of them may have already answered my question, but I'm going to ask anyway :)

I recently moved house and to cut a very long story short the builders pulled a fast one which ended up with me accepting a very uneven garden. With money being tight at the time of moving coupled with an eagerness to learn I set out levelling the garden and building a small retaining wall (circa 800mm high) at the rear of the garden. The wall was a blockwork wall laid on 200mm x 400mm foundations and I managed this without any issues at all. Next step was to render the wall so off I went and bought a series of corner beads and Webber Pral M in white. Not being used to plastering I applied approximately a 15mm base coat of render (I fixed some 15mm lats to the wall and then shuttered the render on, then removed the lats and filled the gap) - I know this isn't the perfect way of doing it, but for me it has given me a decent result but I do have some unevenness. I bought a scratch float and videos online show people scratching to remove any uneven lumps and bumps but when I tried (after a couple of days) the wall was solid and wouldn't budge (even snapping teeth off the float).

I'm wanting to apply a finishing coat to smooth the wall - I can key the wall and apply a top coat, but where am I going wrong. Is my mix too thick which is causing the issues with scratching or am I waiting too long? How long would you expect to wait from applying to scratching (on say a 10 degree dry day).

I watch tutorials like this one () and I should be capable of giving a half decent finish on a garden wall.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_6599.jpg
    IMG_6599.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 308
You left it too long to scratch back mate. If it’s warm you could have done it same day or if it’s cold next day would have been fine.

I thought as much mate. If I apply a top coat all over will I need to grind into the existing render to give a surface for the new render to key into or could I just apply it on top of the current coat (which hasn't been flattened back).

My plan is to apply another coat and the scratch float it to a nice finish.

Thanks for youre reply Stuart

As said above. You scratch it when it is almost initialially set but still full of water. Just about nearly set is not hard.

Weber is a fast setter so on early as you can and it might be ok 6 hours later.

Many thanks for the kind replies. I'll have a try applying a section this weekend and scratch it back. Out of interest should the mix consistency be similar to cement? Sloppy but with some consistency.

Cheers