Are imperfections acceptable

Hyates91

Hi, I’ve been Plastering for about 10 years on and off worked with a lot of different plasters and felt my quality to be satisfactory Im in central London to skim a Wall 7m by 7m that has an led light that shines out the wall looks good in the day time and with the led light but they’ve checked it at night with torches and say it’s not flat Enough, not really sure what to do I don’t think re-skimming will get it any closer ive touched the wall up once at night with a flood light across it but they have not checked it again with a hi powered touch and can notice more imperfections what’s the best solution.

Attachments

• A9195110-30C6-4C1B-92C7-374E924E2FCC.jpeg
    A9195110-30C6-4C1B-92C7-374E924E2FCC.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,029
Hi, I’ve been Plastering for about 10 years on and off worked with a lot of different plasters and felt my quality to be satisfactory Im in central London to skim a Wall 7m by 7m that has an led light that shines out the wall looks good in the day time and with the led light but they’ve checked it at night with torches and say it’s not flat Enough, not really sure what to do I don’t think re-skimming will get it any closer ive touched the wall up once at night with a flood light across it but they have not checked it again with a hi powered touch and can notice more imperfections what’s the best solution.
Tell them to put the torches away.

looks fine 2 me mate (y)

I'm sure I heard somewhere that @BritishGypsum standard is to stand 1 meter away in normal day light, without shining lights down it. Or maybe I made that up to get me out of the s**t

I think it's usually @zombie that starts running around waving that standard that he's found written down somewhere when people come on after they've shone floodlights up their k rend.

It goes something along the lines of what you just said. It should be judged from 1m away and in the light it was done in.
Also that you should notify the plasterer if you intend to go shining lights down it.

Seems a pretty relaxed standard to me but there ya go.

I meant the led and torch caper lol .it all looks rough with bright lights on it I dont give a fuk how good your skimming is

Yeah that's what I meant, it's not a perfect product thus isn't fair shining a light down it

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
Is this the light that’s going to always be on it or the torch they used? On one hand it seems like they’re going to lengths to find faults but on the other it looks shite so

I skimmed a kitchen for a bloke last year and he had a dewalt LED torch over it after a whitewash, I told him to put the torch away, get it painted properly, look at it under his normal kitchen lighting and then call me back if he’s still not happy. Unless it’s onto boards you never get it absolutly perfect

Least were all rough.

Tell em to goto any house in dark and shine a.light down it.

7m x 7xm thats a.big f**k**g wall you do it.on todd

I skimmed a kitchen for a bloke last year and he had a dewalt LED torch over it after a whitewash, I told him to put the torch away, get it painted properly, look at it under his normal kitchen lighting and then call me back if he’s still not happy. Unless it’s onto boards you never get it absolutly perfect
Never tried it but got told un skimmed plasterboards look same if you shine a torch down em in dark

B.S. used to say centre of the room or 2m, whichever is greater and any artificial light only direct at the wall.
NHBC standards are still similar I believe.
It says viewed from two metres with all lights switched OFF, also that as plastering is a craft it is NOT possible to achieve a completley flat and true surface. (BS 13914)

Never tried it but got told un skimmed plasterboards look same if you shine a torch down em in dark
They do. Modern lighting doesn’t help in the least. People expect perfection and it’s almost impossible to achieve.

They do. Modern lighting doesn’t help in the least. People expect perfection and it’s almost impossible to achieve.
I've spent my whole career being paranoid about producing perfection and gutted at any blemish , went to London and worked with five different spreads , I couldn't believe what they considered acceptable , their walls looked like the Sahara in low profile , all passed by site

I can understand why someone who didn't know better would be anxious about the quality of the work but they may just need a a bit of calibration.

Unless they have a specific final light fitting which really does show up some nastiness then they probably need to take their torch to existing walls, parents, friends house in the dark - wherever they consider walls to be acceptable and see what a 'normal' wall looks like before casting judgement.

Here's how it should be finished you cowboys!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200107-021135.png
    Screenshot_20200107-021135.png
    987.6 KB · Views: 641
I think it's usually @zombie that starts running around waving that standard that he's found written down somewhere when people come on after they've shone floodlights up their k rend.

It goes something along the lines of what you just said. It should be judged from 1m away and in the light it was done in.
Also that you should notify the plasterer if you intend to go shining lights down it.

Seems a pretty relaxed standard to me but there ya go.
That makes sense. If someone said I’m going to be a massive t**t as soon as you’ve finished and start waving lights down it you wouldn’t want the job and hassle.

You know what i.ve had more and more customers talk about this . Luckily no dick heads . But maybe its a prob thats gonna get worse

I've spent my whole career being paranoid about producing perfection and gutted at any blemish , went to London and worked with five different spreads , I couldn't believe what they considered acceptable , their walls looked like the Sahara in low profile , all passed by site
The only perfection you will find in this life is when you look in the mirror.

The torch trick is to make them feel clever and try to knock down your price.
It's a con, nobody can argue with the British Standard because that is exactly what it is, the standard finish. Unless they specified a higher steel-yard finish in writing they can pay you and try to argue in the small claims court that BS standards are crap.

Now we have the Spec - per Tapit wording, maybe add it to the bottom of all quotes as standard text.