Artex + WBA + Multi

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrspoon

evening all, how are we keeping?!

had a right crap day today, had a kitchen ceiling to skim, cupboards were very close to the celing and quite deep, especially over the built in double oven and the corner unit thay seemed to be about as deep as half the kitchen (slight exaggeration!)

but anyway.. i scraped the artex (newish artex) WBA'd it yesterday (which i hate!) tho im sure its the small brush/artex combination! and attempted to skim it today, everything went wrong! i mixed it way too thin for the first coat and didnt mix enough anyway! so i had to finish off a quater of the ceiling with the 2nd mix.... then tried to lay in with the rest ( i made a big batch) but nooo it just started going off too quick! no more skimmiing above awkwared cupboards for me, and i think ill stick to bonding the artex first them skimming over... i did this method on a different ceiling in their house and its perfect, well it was untill the home owner painted it in a strange mannor ???

what are your preferences?

i hardly ever bond artex unles its really deep just unibond it mix a thickish batch up give it one heavy coat let it take up a litlle flatten it off an go an have brekky come back quick thinish coat of uni then skim as normal

that was my intention but it set quicker than a mexican hurdling over the american border...

tho i had pvc sheet masking tapes over all the walls so the place was like a flippin green house, im sure alan titchmarsh appeared at one point with a garden trowel trying to convince me it was for skimming but it may have been the heat causing hallucinations

if the cuboards are to tight to the ceiling i get em to take em down,do prefer to over board,but if we were asked to over skim, scrape down ceiling two coats of unibond the day before then skim wth multi,would put a first tight coat of multi to fill over trowel flat then a second coat then from the same mix use a bit for troweling out with

allright spoonman where you been then? good to see you again mate anyway..
kitchens...
innit always the bloody way? all those f'ckin cupboards to lean over/sheet up/get in the way, then the stuff goes like lightning..
was the boiler in the kitchen? had that before and the rising heat just sends it...
or maybe all the flow/return pipes spreading out over the ceiling?
or maybe you grabbed a bad batch of skim, few of us had it lately...
wack it on thin though, and it will go off sharpish, trick with artex is to get that first coat on thick, mix up thin and it'll come off the trowel thin. mix it up like feckin cream cheese though and it'll go on lovely and thick and you wont drop anything at all...aches the arm layin on like that but its worth it for the 1st coat, flatten it then top as normal, dont try and top it thick too or youll never get it right...

now im not blowing my own trumpet ....but skimming artex ceilings is probably my best area i can get them like a plasterboard ceiling everytime and with no stress.

Last week I did a 50m2 ceiling over artex with just a labourer and didnt even break a sweat,it took 4 hours to do but just plodded on with it.
I broke the ceiling down in to 4 areas and mixed small batchs of gear.

layed area 1
new mix
layed area 2
flattened 1
new mix
layed 3
flattened 2

etc etc.

Try it the next time your thinking about paying your mate £100 to give you a hand on that big ceiling.

Rich Brown

evenin bigsegs, went away for a bit as it seemed people were arguing and being petty over nothing atall and got fed up i guess. hows life treating you? were away for a while weren't you?

the boiler was in the next room, no pipes in sight but id imagine they were all over the place heating up the rest of the house at the time. i was willing to mix up another batch and carry on but i barely had an plaster left so thought id just be better off starting fresh tomorow, the customers are fully understanding and are chuffed with the job anyway ??? :eek: but then again ive seen their own handywork so im hardly suprised, thing is tho this newish housing estate is all done by the same building company, so im assuming its all the same spec (artex celings) so im planning on getting some flyers made especially offering my services but paying particular attention to skimming over artex and offering a discount, no doubt theyve seen my van out and about that area for the past 6 weeks while ive been doing other jobs round there so i reckon it could work a treat

talkin about 50-70 houses all closeby on a seperate new housing estate

mrspoon said:
evenin bigsegs, went away for a bit as it seemed people were arguing and being petty over nothing atall and got fed up i guess. hows life treating you? were away for a while weren't you?

the boiler was in the next room, no pipes in sight but id imagine they were all over the place heating up the rest of the house at the time. i was willing to mix up another batch and carry on but i barely had an plaster left so thought id just be better off starting fresh tomorow, the customers are fully understanding and are chuffed with the job anyway ??? :eek: but then again ive seen their own handywork so im hardly suprised, thing is tho this newish housing estate is all done by the same building company, so im assuming its all the same spec (artex celings) so im planning on getting some flyers made especially offering my services but paying particular attention to skimming over artex and offering a discount, no doubt theyve seen my van out and about that area for the past 6 weeks while ive been doing other jobs round there so i reckon it could work a treat

Now thats not quite true is it

mrspoon said:
whats not quite true ???
gps said:
mrspoon said:

Now thats not quite true is it

Your first paragraph but its in the past so lets not go over old ground

i thought you meant that, but that wasn't really why i left, as danny well knows, it was due to constant bickering between other people over petty things, i cant even think of an example to be honest as the things people argued about was so petty :-\ just seemed like an unwelcoming place... unlike it once was, recession maybe? who knows. ah well i jsut want to crack on with my NVQ and earn some sterling

i thought the crack with one coat was lay it on, let it go then sponge the fat up and trowel that up? wouldnt wanna even attempt it tbh..

mrspoon said:

it gets like that from time to time mate, usually only takes one new nobhead to start stirring it and it winds everybody up...dp usually bins em without hesitation...then it all goes back to normal again..
same old story, skinning cats innit, everybodys got their own method and opinion, usually gleaned from years of working with other spreads, again all with different methods and opinions..
long as nobody's goin 'your full of sh1t, do it like this' then everybodys happy..
and if everybody had the same opinion this might as well be 1 big faq and sod the forum..
might be a good idea with the flyers though mate, make em an offer they cant refuse sort of thing..
3 for 2? specially if theyre smallish.. have 2 in one hit.. ;D

ill see how i get on next week before dishing out any flyers, ive only ever skimmed over artex twice, first time scraped + bonded then skimmed. 2nd time scraped + WBA + skim then back the next day to re-skim :mad:
tho ive been asked to skim their utility room ceiling on monday, i'll try a nice thick skim then lay into it. but im also thinking thats just gonna go tits up and ill regret not bonding it ::) decisions decisions!

long as youve killed most of the suction mate, lay it on thick nd you should have enough time unless you start gettin above 20-25 metres in one go then you gotta move a bit quicker..
that said, if your used to sticking some bonding up there first, lettin it pull up a bit then 2 coating it, why change?
good tip though, make sure you cover ALL the artex in the first coat, if you dont the topping wont get it time youve trowelled up and youll see it when its dry and painted..

Hi mrspoon, suprised no-ones suggested using board-finish when skimming over WBA,ed artex. Multi can behave strangely when theres zero suction. I did all artexed ceilings in a bunglow and did 2 bedroom ceilings back to back both with WBA then over with multi. One turned out "near" perfect the other was poor in comparison. Got a artexed hall,stairs,landing and ceilings booked in for next month,doing that fecka while customer,s on holiday ;D

Oh and chill, most on this site are OK, knobs soon get tired and feck off :D

Come on guys play nice.

I hate kitchens I hate cuboards always a stretch Rolling guage works a treat but only ever used it once

Danny

So no ones tried one coat then the reason i asked is that ime in Spain and most of my work is one coat these days but their is a lot of work covering a similar product to Artex here called Gottalin which is a spray paint with a flecked finish. Their is a special product here to cover it with but it is expensive and a mare to work with but it is garranteed to work so i cant use anything else incase it fails but i am looking for options. We dont have the luxury of multi over here but loads of one coat so just wondered.
Lucius

i hate the space between the work top and wall units had to do it the other week night mare patch sockets and skim it all

lucius said:
So no ones tried one coat then the reason i asked is that ime in Spain and most of my work is one coat these days but their is a lot of work covering a similar product to Artex here called Gottalin which is a spray paint with a flecked finish. Their is a special product here to cover it with but it is expensive and a mare to work with but it is garranteed to work so i cant use anything else incase it fails but i am looking for options. We dont have the luxury of multi over here but loads of one coat so just wondered.
Lucius

do u use much of that perlita lucius i was workin out in Gib last yr an had a ceiling to do as a cash job i just couldnt get the hang of it

topmark said:
Hi mrspoon, suprised no-ones suggested using board-finish when skimming over WBA,ed artex. Multi can behave strangely when theres zero suction. I did all artexed ceilings in a bunglow and did 2 bedroom ceilings back to back both with WBA then over with multi. One turned out "near" perfect the other was poor in comparison. Got a artexed hall,stairs,landing and ceilings booked in for next month,doing that fecka while customer,s on holiday ;D

Oh and chill, most on this site are OK, knobs soon get tired and feck off :D
why would board finish be better than multi?

I have used one coat on walls before, I quite liked it but would never use it if there was hardwall available.

Board finish is better because its designed for low suction (master of one) and multi is used for everything (jack of all)

Danny

yea multi goes like chewing gum where theres no suction and when your trying to flatten it off your moving the whole lot around instead of the top third, just makes it hard work, then it seems to go off all at once..
boardy goes over wba loverly, even better than on board...
feck knows why though.. give it a shot on a shiny surface with wba and boardy and youll never use multi in that instance again..

Cant get perlita where i am Napper but ive heard about it, lot of the DIY boys use it, rustic finish only.
Lucius.

ah i never knew that about WBA with board finish as opposed to using multi... bit late now but i may give it a whirl next time i use WBA.

you can use board finish wherever youve got limited suction, say you take a chance on pva on a silk wall... use boardy...

we found u could flatten board finish alot earlier than multi too....not cause it was going off quicker although on last job it did......but we found for rolling gauges it was a faqntastic tool for just that. As for ceilings using universal one copat plaster, think we all agreed that , that would be a mare bof all mares...i love the stuff use it all the time , for chases, backing plaster , old buldings etc...but i would not even attempt using it on a ceiling..you need to lay it on in 2 coats then sponge it....your artm would be falling off at the end of it...think big mart said it....if its deep 3 coat it....or if its ridiculeous ( sorry cant spell) bonding then 2 coat.....but ive only ever need to do that once id rather 3 coat it.....lay 1st..lay second without fklattening ...then smooth down then lay 3rd.
Rich you say every ceiling you do looks like its been layed on plasterboard....l thought that was the idea...shouldnt matter what background you lay on ...you should always be free from imperfections....its easier to lay on plasterboard but it really shouldnt matter on background any decent plasterer should get the same finish on anything, its just takes a bit more time thats all with a moody background...im sure you know that...i love a ceiling too ....

Status
Not open for further replies.