Back gone

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29624

Was out at 6 morning loading boards into the van , bent down to get two and something popped in my back . Never felt pain like it couldn't move, managed to get inside but every time I managed ton stand up vision started closing in like I was going to faint and felt sick as a dog. Been to the hospital and told no work until the pain is gone. Took a nice cocktail of codeine and diapazam off the docs about an hour ago so it's finally taking the edge off which is a blessing. Just goes to show how easily you can f**k yourself up in this game. Seems I'll have to wait a bit to try out my new tools

Was out at 6 morning loading boards into the van , bent down to get two and something popped in my back . Never felt pain like it couldn't move, managed to get inside but every time I managed ton stand up vision started closing in like I was going to faint and felt sick as a dog. Been to the hospital and told no work until the pain is gone. Took a nice cocktail of codeine and diapazam off the docs about an hour ago so it's finally taking the edge off which is a blessing. Just goes to show how easily you can f**k yourself up in this game. Seems I'll have to wait a bit to try out my new tools
Wishing you a speedy recovery buddy, can be financially “crippling” being self employed

Wishing you a speedy recovery buddy, can be financially “crippling” being self employed
That's what I told the doc, asked if the codeine would get me to work. She said maybe but strongly advised against it.

That's what I told the doc, asked if the codeine would get me to work. She said maybe but strongly advised against it.

If you’ve damaged something the codeine won’t help it recover you could be damaging it further. Best thing to do get in touch with your local chiropractor ask for emergency appointment there not cheap but a good 1 might be able to help you out. I had it last year damaged a disc somewhere in my lower spine it was agony

If you’ve damaged something the codeine won’t help it recover you could be damaging it further. Best thing to do get in touch with your local chiropractor ask for emergency appointment there not cheap but a good 1 might be able to help you out. I had it last year damaged a disc somewhere in my lower spine it was agony
Can you see a chiropractor when you got an injury , I think if they tried to crack my back today I'd cry then pass out

Can you see a chiropractor when you got an injury , I think if they tried to crack my back today I'd cry then pass out
Yeah of course you can, they don’t just crack your back, if it’s a trapped nerve like lurpak says they might be able to do a massage/manipulate it and ease it slightly

When it's better Lodan go and find a good strength and conditioning coach and get strong . You are proberbly weak and you are collapsing from having poor muscular strength just like the majority of people with bad backs.☺

Hopefully it's nothing serious bud, did my back in good and proper, struggled for a couple of years after. Did some serious core strengthening after that. Find what works for you and do it

Hopefully it's nothing serious bud, did my back in good and proper, struggled for a couple of years after. Did some serious core strengthening after that. Find what works for you and do it
What did you do to get back to work, can't imagine picking a bag of skim up with this

A chiropractor will be a lot more help than a GP or A&E who's stock answer is "Here's some pain killers. Fcuk off and if you're still breathing and can walk, come back in a fortnight". NHS angels and heroes my fcuking 4rse!

Anyway, a good chiropractor will suss it out, maybe send you for a scan, and then start getting everything back into place. The pain in my back (usual lumbar region) had got to ridiculous levels before I went to a chiropractor. I had/have three ruptured/herniated/slipped discs, so you can imagine the pain levels. Within a couple of weeks it felt so much better it was weird. (y)

A chiropractor will be a lot more help than a GP or A&E who's stock answer is "Here's some pain killers. Fcuk off and if you're still breathing and can walk, come back in a fortnight". NHS angels and heroes my fcuking 4rse!

Anyway, a good chiropractor will suss it out, maybe send you for a scan, and then start getting everything back into place. The pain in my back (usual lumbar region) had got to ridiculous levels before I went to a chiropractor. I had/have three ruptured/herniated/slipped discs, so you can imagine the pain levels. Within a couple of weeks it felt so much better it was weird. (y)
Just trying to book a chiropractor now, NHS exactly as you said codeine and diazipam on your way. Now the drugs have kicked in I can bend a bit and get a pulling sensation in my left leg so nerve might be a good shout

Get yourself insurance Lodan, I broke my femur last year riding Motocross and was off work for 7 months, I have injury insurance though which paid me out £1400 a month, without it I'd have been f**k*d. Take it easy dude!
Is that why you’re McBentLegs? I’ve been thinking I should get some insurance..... then I can purposefully break my own legs!

There is a reason bad backs are a massive drain on the NHS. Everyone seems to have one these days. And it is nearly always the L5. Everyone who tells me they have back problems would also be in the obesity class of the population. Not saying you are Lodan but my answer to to most people is lose some weight and give you spine a break. When you stop getting stronger you start getting weaker.

Is that why you’re McBentLegs? I’ve been thinking I should get some insurance..... then I can purposefully break my own legs!

Nah, I used to look like I had rickets.

Definitely get yourself insurance, I mainly have it due to my hobby but I'd always have it regardless now, the sooner you get it the better as they won't give you cover on old injuries (unless you already had it).

Last edited:
There is a reason bad backs are a massive drain on the NHS. Everyone seems to have one these days. And it is nearly always the L5. Everyone who tells me they have back problems would also be in the obesity class of the population. Not saying you are Lodan but my answer to to most people is lose some weight and give you spine a break. When you stop getting stronger you start getting weaker.
Yeah I bet that is often the cause but I'm 10stone 10. Don't normally have any real problems with my back but felt something pop when I lifted those boards. My own fault I was stretching trying to pick them up off the pallet and doing two at a time.

Yeah I bet that is often the cause but I'm 10stone 10. Don't normally have any real problems with my back but felt something pop when I lifted those boards. My own fault I was stretching trying to pick them up off the pallet and doing two at a time.
At 10 stone i would say that your back is not the problem it is the muscles that support it that are in need of building up .Muscle is the scaffold that holds the skeleton up . Low body weight does not indicate good health.

At 10 stone i would say that your back is not the problem it is the muscles that support it that are in need of building up .Muscle is the scaffold that holds the skeleton up . Low body weight does not indicate good health.
Aye don't think a bit of extra muscle would do me any harm. Once I've got this sorted think I'll start some core exercises to strengthen up a bit

Mate I first did my back in over twenty years ago, take it from me don't rush back to work or use the painkillers to mask the problem.
I still have to remember to 'manage' my back even now because I was in too much of a rush to get stuff done. Think long-term.

I mentioned this before when some people say I'm booked until junember, this is all it takes when your self employed and you could be s**t street. You don't know what's round the corner. My back goes every now and then doctor says it's a nerve, good luck Lodan I'm sure you will recover soon.

It’s not necessarily the weight it’s the angle your lifting from, we’ve all been there mate. I think my tennis elbow came from moving boards gripping them from the top instead of bending down to grab them from underneath

Aye don't think a bit of extra muscle would do me any harm. Once I've got this sorted think I'll start some core exercises to strengthen up a bit

The chiropractor will give you a set/list of exercises that are targeted to the muscle groups involved. You can be as strong as a horse but still imbalanced which can cause problems. Make sure you take the chiropractor's advice, there's no point in paying for it then ignoring it.

Insurance can be a good idea, however there is an alternative to betting against yourself. If you can, get a credit card with a £10k + limit. Every three months or so buy something with it and then clear the balance the following month. That way instead of paying premiums for a decade or two without claiming and thus 'giving' the money to the insurance co, you will have enough money to carry you for up to a year if the sh1t hits the fan.

Drink plenty of water bud with codine. They will bung you up mate you won't be able to drop the kids off and that's not good with a bad back.:cry: