backs of stairs.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

spreadspurs

hi everyone. 2morro morning i've got to mesh, bond, and skim the back of some stairs. does anyone out there hate this task as much as i do? anyone got any tips and advice? ;)

lol, i wish! no chance mate. site agent loves his twists on the stairs. fed up with them now, cutting hands on the mesh is doing my nut in!!!

i find the mesh is the hardest bit! if theres already timber battons to fix to its a bonus if not screw doorstop to the under side of each step and across fix the with screws if you fix to the step keep the batton low so you wont go through the step to the other side then cut and staple youre mesh, dont worry about perfect shapes when its fixed to the batton it'll create the shape and screw some more screws in after to get a good hold, if theres any mesh you cant fix strip some electric wire and tie the two pieces of mesh together
for the 1st bonding coat dont try doing too much at once it'll end up in tears mix it with some cement and give it a scratch
when thats gone off you can give it another thicker coat try to use youre skimming trowel as you will create contours you want to match when youre skimming again scratch it
take the high spots of and skim it, if its fairly twisty i,ve troweled some up using the toe of my trowel for the whole thing dont get on it too early after three trowels get a sponge with no water and gently float it
good luck mate
p.s if youre first coating with bonding get out of the way if someone runs up the stairs ;)

Last time i did this was on a town house in bath and it was a night mare couldnt get a trowel to go all the way round wothout digging chunks out, managed to get it all layed on without a break by using the front end of my trowel then troweled up with a carrier bag on the curve section worked a treat turned out really well. Only trouble was i had to redo the other house's the other spread messed up.

Every time i've done the back of stairs its already onto board or reset, i love doing these as i always roll in the corner with bonding and double coat with Multi. Its the same as attic conversions, unless the board is perfect you'll never get you're horizontal joint right. I hate it when you see the joint in the combes and they're all over the place. :mad:

Hey peg i think you are on about regular staircases with a half landing turn i think the one that has to be done in expamet is a more of a spiral twist staircase and is a right nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.