Bad surprise under grey wallpaper.Diy beginner.

Anya0909

I moved into a council house that was decorated terribly and Im left to correct DIY disasters of previous owners. One of the wall in the living room had a grey wallpaper. I noticed big bumps underneath it .I removed the wallpaper and underneath there was partially stripped old wallpaper(?)or maybe its actually a plaster(?) Its yellow crumbly and difficult to remove.

What do I do now? Wall is sticky in some places from glue as well.

I'm total diy beginner but wanted to do my best to tackle this. My goal is to paint whole room in white.
Any tips regarding tools and materials are welcomed.
Hiring a builder is out of my budget so don't suggest it.Thanks
Screenshot_20240813-210823.png
IMG_20240809_175939.jpg
IMG_20240809_175944.jpg

First, gather tools: a wallpaper steamer or stripper, a scraper, sandpaper, and sugar soap. Use the steamer to soften the yellow, crumbly layer, then scrape it off carefully. If it's plaster, be gentle to avoid damage. Clean sticky spots with sugar soap. Sand the wall to smooth any rough areas. Patch holes with filler, then prime the wall. For a feature wall, consider adding a wallpaper mural for a striking effect before painting the rest of the room white.

Here we go again looking for the quick fix , two choices pay a plasterer or live with it

Damaged plaster was clearly visible under that grey wallpaper. Its more likely that lazy builders from a housing association went for a "quick fix" and signed this off as ok for a new tenant - middle aged single woman on disability without a car to take care off! But at least she got £150 " redecoration" voucher( valid only for cleaning supplies or paint )! So if any of plasterers fancy that as a payment , I will be glad.

Damaged plaster was clearly visible under that grey wallpaper. Its more likely that lazy builders from a housing association went for a "quick fix" and signed this off as ok for a new tenant - middle aged single woman on disability without a car to take care off! But at least she got £150 " redecoration" voucher( valid only for cleaning supplies or paint )! So if any of plasterers fancy that as a payment , I will be glad.
What disability do you have?