Base coat and skim

Members online

Server

After I have applied a base coat of plaster, should I apply PVA to it before I add the skim finish ?

After I have applied a base coat of plaster, should I apply PVA to it before I add the skim finish ?
Mix your pva in to the base cost. Save yourself a job.
When you mix up your top coat add some plasticiser too, it’ll trap the air bubbles and makes a nice light airy mix, make sure to report back with pics of your efforts. All the best. You got lab.

Mix your pva in to the base cost. Save yourself a job.
When you mix up your top coat add some plasticiser too, it’ll trap the air bubbles and makes a nice light airy mix, make sure to report back with pics of your efforts. All the best. You got lab.
Can you put paint in the second coat? That would save another job, wouldn't it?

leave a day and just be quick, no bubbles but like glass

like glass?

ffs

Ok, I have but on the bonding coat, about 3pm, it has firmed up but no doubt will take a while to dry out. Now I am going to put the finish on tomorrow about 10am.

I assume that I need to pva it (even though it won't have totally dried out) ?
Do I put one or two,coats of pva on it ?
What strength should I use 3:1 or 5:1 ?

Ok, I have but on the bonding coat, about 3pm, it has firmed up but no doubt will take a while to dry out. Now I am going to put the finish on tomorrow about 10am.

never messured but guess 3;1 better. one coat be reeto

Put 5 coats on and a hat .

How bigs area .

If its just a skim of bonding and its totally dry a watery coat of pva and skim. I always brush key a a skim of bonding.

It's about 10mm thick ?
What to you call totally dry ? Whilst it's dry to touch, I guess it will take a week or so to dry out ?

So do I put pva on it and at what strength ?
It's touch dry but will have only been on the wall for about 16 hrs

The bonding coat is recessed by about 2mm , to allow for the finishing coat.

So do I put pva on it and at what strength ?
It's touch dry but will have only been on the wall for about 16 hrs

PVA the original with wet coat then when dry 50/50 sticking coat ,
whilst that's getting tacky wet down the bonding (using a spray for consistency ) then razor blade a key and tape crack lines
( I go round boxes and pipe/cables and stick in first coat :love: )
Thin coat 50:50 bonding/multi over the whole wall , you might want to re dampen bonded areas just before , then flatten with straight edge ( I don't devils float :love:)
2 coats very tight multi

I was not intending to skim the whole wall (it's quite large). This is more of a patch repair.

Are you suggesting just dampen the bonding coat with a spray of water, and not pva ?

I was not intending to skim the whole wall (it's quite large). This is more of a patch repair.

Are you suggesting just dampen the bonding coat with a spray of water, and not pva ?
Sorry as I petty much refuse to patch an old wall ( it's crap ) , I'd suggest filler and rub down

Yea but can you imagine how much polyfiller it would take :)

Do I just dampen the bonding coat with water ? Or pva?

Yea but can you imagine how much polyfiller it would take :)

Do I just dampen the bonding coat with water ? Or pva?
Dampen, razor , dampen
Or when totally dry , PVA wet coat , let dry , PVA 50:50 , two thin coats of multi
Either way fill cracking with filler
Then run