batten off wall and insulate

Status
Not open for further replies.

User___removed

been to look at a job.the fella has fixed 25mm batten`s to a internal wall and put 25mm insulation in between.will i have to put vapour barrier over the face of the batten`s before boarding?i pulled a piece of celetex off and it was a bit damp behind.if a barrier was to be stapled on,won`t the condensation just drip down on the floor? starting boarding tomorrow so help would be grateful.cheers rob

Why is there so much condensation is it a bathroom even so there should be ventilation if the celotex is damp and you cover with vapour barrier you will trap tha water in and cause serious problems

shall i double up the battens so the insulation is off the wall/.no heating in there so this might be a reason it a bit damp.

If there's that much moisture there's a puddle on the floor theres a serious problem, it should condensate with heat in the building don't put the boards all the way to the floor

Is it a solid wall? It may have been better to batten then fix insulated boards to the battens..they have a vapour barrier incorporated. Or build a stud wall off the wall. Ideally you should have a cavity of some kind to let the wall breathe. If the problem is damp, e.g penetrating you should get this sorted first. Theres lots of guides on the Celotex website as to installing insulation.

it's called cold bridging mate. You need a vapour barrier and you need to leave at least an inch cavity. That'll stop the condensation you're experiencing.

If you've got any doubts about this, cos there's a lot of difference in opinion expressed about this on here, then ring the manufacturers of the insulation and ask them directly what they specify.

Simples.

Last edited:
ok chaps thanks.it is`nt damp @ the bottom of the well,its @ the top.im gonna double up the batten so there will be a 25mm gap behind insulation.is a vapour barrier still needed?

Have a look at the Celotex website and see if there is an insulated board around 25mm thick instead of double battening. Most builders are using insulated plasterboard these days they have vapour barrier incorporated.

If you do double batten make ure the first battens are treated timber with dpc fixed to back before fixed to wall.

I would put a vapour barrier in and use foil backed boards. Vapour barrier can be damp proof membrane stapled to battens.

Status
Not open for further replies.