Best way to create a shallow groove in an existing plaster wall?

Members online

melias

I am trying to squeeze an antique desk into an existing alcove and frustratingly, the plastered walls are just a few mm narrower than the desktop.

I would therefore like to find a way to create a shallow (3-5mm) groove in the plaster along the length of the wall, which would allow me to slide the desk in. The width of the groove or trough will only need to be about 2cm.

Any thoughts about how best to achieve this and have it look presentable? I was thinking perhaps a Dremel tool with a grinding attachment?

Angle grinder either side and chisel it out the centre, or if plasterboard, just cut it out with Stanley knife.

Strike a line top and bottom for the width you require and use a stanley knife to cut through the plaster then use a small cold chisel or wood chisel to cut out to the depth you want. A stanley knife will cut through most plasters but depending on how hard it is you may need a few stanley blade's. The only problem may be metal angle beads on external corners. If there are any use a junior hacksaw to cut through the bead. You will have to fill the outside face where the angle bead has been removed as the bead has metal mesh fins.

Dont mess with lovely plastering cut a bit off the desk mun ! :cachetada:

If not dremel will cut it neat if steady handed, bead strip stuck on back of desk will hide any sshaky bits ? :coffe:

Tack a battern on the height of the lowest part of your desks top.then you router along the battern at the desired depth in stages.just by cheap router bits from tool station or similar .

Of it is only 3mms just use a straight edge and a 1 inch chisel and scrape back the finish either side of the alcove , or just do one side first and second where your at after that.