Big High Walls On Stairwell

Members online

roryston

Priced up a job in a mansion the other week.

As you can imagine the walls are rather large in length and height.

I've got the whole job (3 story stairwell and landing and 2 reception rooms)

Being really honest I didn't think id get it so I put a high price in but they accepted, happy days.

I'm fine with the reception rooms, I can easily set up something to gain access top to bottom but I'm a little stuck on the stairwell walls.

I dont think the usual ladder and planks will cut it, I would like a scaffold ideally but the place is used as offices during the day so I cant have anything like that, ot need to be something that can be set up, wall skimmed then taken back down....

Any ideas gentleman?

I have a few pictures but they don't really show much

WP_20170124_09_32_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20170124_09_31_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20170124_09_31_04_Pro.jpg

IMG_4208.PNG
Good on you putting in a high price - takes the pressure off. These platforms are pretty good but I still like the old ladder and plank.
Can you work the weekend on the stairs?
The people will know there's going to be a disturbance - don't sweat it...make life easy for yourself.

Being really honest I didn't think id get it so I put a high price in but they accepted, happy days.

I'm fine with the reception rooms, I can easily set up something to gain access top to bottom but I'm a little stuck on the stairwell walls.

I dont think the usual ladder and planks will cut it, I would like a scaffold ideally but the place is used as offices during the day so I cant have anything like that, ot need to be something that can be set up, wall skimmed then taken back down....

Any ideas gentleman?

View attachment 16428 View attachment 16429 View attachment 16430
Have a look at lakeside ladder hire might be helpful

View attachment 16433 Good on you putting in a high price - takes the pressure off. These platforms are pretty good but I still like the old ladder and plank.
Can you work the weekend on the stairs?
The people will know there's going to be a disturbance - don't sweat it...make life easy for yourself.

Just been looking at these towers going to give my local hire place a call tomorrow they hopefully should have some large ones , I also like the ladder and plank set up never failed me but the span on these walls are just to long to be balanced on top one 30 feet up.

And the offices are used 7 days a week unfortunately, the reception rooms will both be sectioned off for the duration of me doing them but the stairwells can only be done from 5pm until 6am, hence the higher price.... And the fact I'm essentially a one man band and I was pricing against 2 big firms!

I did a job in the offices of Brake Brothers in Bishops Stortford years ago - I asked if I could do the work over the weekend and they said no. It was FOOKIN hilarious, I was right in the middle of the office with suits right next to me whilst I was cutting pb and rasping it....the blokes at their desks were covered in a fine white dust...it was like a scene from the 'Office'

Any ideas gentleman?

View attachment 16428 View attachment 16429 View attachment 16430

Have a look on safety platforms ltd you might find something on there Mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a job in the offices of Brake Brothers in Bishops Stortford years ago - I asked if I could do the work over the weekend and they said no. It was FOOKIN hilarious, I was right in the middle of the office with suits right next to me whilst I was cutting pb and rasping it....the blokes at their desks were covered in a fine white dust...it was like a scene from the 'Office'

I love working in places where everyone around you is prim and proper, there all serious about life and I'm just there singing along to mammas and pappas living the dream

I worked in Redford army barracks in Edinburgh where the cavalry were based - every day I used to shout out the window 'ten shun' at someone marching by...they'd stop everytime

A bungee cord fixed to ceiling and boing up and down doing mega sweeps. You'd be done in no time and have fun doing it (y)

If you prefer using ladders and planks, get some 4x2 on its side and screw planks to to that, you can even put some cross pieces in to add more support. should take the bounce out

this is NOT a job for a one man band, a large firm would have enough labour to cope with the drop with out joints.

Got 4 of us doing the stairwells mate, 2&2 on the biggest wall, 2 laying 1 up and down 1 loading and 1&1 on the 4 smaller ones

Tbh its to small of a job for a plastering firm. A 2&1 gang would be perfect on this.

Last edited:
Stair towers are a pain if I can I always try not using them go old school on it and try rig something up yes not safe but gets job done

Got 4 of us doing the stairwells mate, 2&2 on the biggest wall, 2 laying 1 up and down 1 loading and 1&1 on the 4 smaller ones

Tbh its to small of a job for a plastering firm. A 2&1 gang would be perfect on this.

Cheers for all the advice lads, managed to sort a 7 metre stairwell tower out locally £10 a day hire.

Looking forward to starting the job now!

Good price bud...we have done a few like this always get the scaffolder in saves alot of f**king about...some customers don't want to pay the extra...so we tell em where to go :fuckyou:

Yep Lees sound had him in on a few jobs...see how you get on with the tower mate, scaffolders don't charge alot to put a platform in, just an option for the future.

Yeah he's lush known him years, done a lot for me. if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be self employed hes put me onto some very good contacts he basically set me up work wise id do anything for him

Yeah he's lush known him years, done a lot for me. if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be self employed hes put me onto some very good contacts he basically set me up work wise id do anything for him

Sound mate, I know what your saying, decorator I worked for years ago did the same for me...still doing his work to this day! Be careful when you say you'd do anything though bud your never know ;)

My brother in law has this to do, I told him I'm not going anywhere near it and that it will cost him a few quid.

Attachments

• 20181230_121338.jpg
    20181230_121338.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 272

Any ideas gentleman?

View attachment 16428View attachment 16429View attachment 16430
U must be mad

Any ideas gentleman?

View attachment 16428View attachment 16429View attachment 16430
Mate 2 battens 1 good ladder end of