Blown decorative render- ?repair by injecting S.B.R.

Stewart123

I am not a plasterer but we have just had our house rendered by a professional plasterer and am looking for advice. The plasterer has done a good-looking job. He has applied a roughcast finish and made large stone-effect decorative areas around the door and up the corners of the wall using smooth cement-type render. The roughcast is all fine but the decorative stone effect areas were done on a hot day and it has blown (sounds hollow) in lots of places (large areas blown). I have spoken to the plasterer who has kindly agreed to sort it out. He has said that he will drill into the blown decorative areas and inject S.B.R. behind them. I was a bit concerned about this as everything that I found online seemed to suggest hacking off and replacing the blown render. He spoke to my wife and seemed to suggest that hacking off the local areas and re-rendering could cause more problems than injecting the S.B.R. (? risk of future problems). I wondered if anybody could advised as to whether injecting S.B.R. is a reasonable solution to the problem. If it is an acceptable fix then this is fine and it would cause less disruption. The plasterer has been great and am delighted with his work overall, but I was concerned that this might not be the right solution to the problem and he might be looking for the simplest but not best solution for the blown render. We have had awful problems with damp and I don't want to create any more problems for the future. Thanks very much to anyone who can take the time to give me some advice as my wife has told him that he can come and do the work soon. Stewart.

Attachments

• IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5349.JPG
    IMG_5349.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 130
I am not a plasterer but we have just had our house rendered by a professional plasterer and am looking for advice. The plasterer has done a good-looking job. He has applied a roughcast finish and made large stone-effect decorative areas around the door and up the corners of the wall using smooth cement-type render. The roughcast is all fine but the decorative stone effect areas were done on a hot day and it has blown (sounds hollow) in lots of places (large areas blown). I have spoken to the plasterer who has kindly agreed to sort it out. He has said that he will drill into the blown decorative areas and inject S.B.R. behind them. I was a bit concerned about this as everything that I found online seemed to suggest hacking off and replacing the blown render. He spoke to my wife and seemed to suggest that hacking off the local areas and re-rendering could cause more problems than injecting the S.B.R. (? risk of future problems). I wondered if anybody could advised as to whether injecting S.B.R. is a reasonable solution to the problem. If it is an acceptable fix then this is fine and it would cause less disruption. The plasterer has been great and am delighted with his work overall, but I was concerned that this might not be the right solution to the problem and he might be looking for the simplest but not best solution for the blown render. We have had awful problems with damp and I don't want to create any more problems for the future. Thanks very much to anyone who can take the time to give me some advice as my wife has told him that he can come and do the work soon. Stewart.
If it’s hollow sbr will do nothing for it ,hollow plaster will only end up in one place and that’s on the ground it’s got to come off and be replaced it’s not what you want to hear or the plasterer wants to do but it’s the only way to rectify the problem

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate all of your advice- was not expecting so much help. I will speak to the plasterer and ask him if he could take it off and replace the blown areas.