Can i PVA over Plas Prime

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

Morning all,

I am new to plastering and have done a few ceilings both over new plasterboard and old artex and all have come out fine, but I have now got to tackle my stairs hallway and landing which will be the biggest area I have done.
I was advised to use a cementone Plaster prime on the artex ceiling 1st to give me the best chance of being able to get the job done in one hit as my speed still needs to improve, but i am not convinced.
I have painted this stuff all over as per instructions and cant really feel what difference this is going to make.

Question is can i PVA over the Primer as this would make me more comfortable as at least i can feel the PVA go tacky.

Thanks

hi dildo. if you are concerned then overboard it. you can pva if you want but what are you hoping to achieve by doing that?

The PVA was just to add suction really.
Think i might give it a quick coat just in case. i was more concerned that the PVA might react with the PlasPrime.

I wouldn't PVA over it. That stuff is the same as thistle bond-it I believe, so it will have already killed all the suction.

Expensive tackle though isn't it?

The PVA was just to add suction really.
Think i might give it a quick coat just in case. i was more concerned that the PVA might react with the PlasPrime.
Are you planning on reskimming it once you have done it?........................didnt think so, so whats the point of adding a bonding agent twice? If i was you i would save the PVA for when you have to re-skim it ;)

its alright with all that gear painted on the ceilin all he has to do is slap it on then go out learn how to plaster for a few years let his speed pick up, by then the plaster should have picked up enough to at least first trowel it:RpS_lol:

just pva it mate if it makes you feel any better, no need to buy all that expensive stuff just stick to pva

pmsl at nickelarse

The cementone Plaster prime is a primer used for non suction surfaces i.e painted walls/ceilings. Ive used this alot latley as i get it for a good price and it is the dogs nuts when used right. If you have suction on the original walls/ceiling then good luck as it doesnt kill the suction and it sounds like you dont have much experience.

If you have suction on the original walls/ceiling then good luck as it doesnt kill the suction

Erm yes it does, it forms a skin.

PLASPRIME® is particularly useful when re-skimming old walls. In such circumstances the walls can be of various materials and surface finish such as old paint or wallpaper paste residues. Further, it is often the case that part of a wall may be porous and others completely sealed. Using PLASPRIME® deals with all these problems and gives uniform drying, making finishing much quicker and easier.

Im sorry to disagree Dannymac but if you try using this on say a wall with half painted half porus surface it does nothing to stop the suction on the porus sections. Ive used about 30 tubs of it in the last few months and ive been in contact with cementone who advised me themselves that you need to pva the porus walls with a 5-1 mix of pva prior to applying the plasi prime!

Must be different to "bond it" that I've used in the past then. That defo killed a lot of suction....not all.

If it kills no suction then i struggle to see the point of it over a strong PVA mix with a handful of sand in it!??

Thanks for the comments, i didn't bother with the PVA in the end and it turned out fine.
the surface was a very old artex and it was in my house so was willing to take the chance and try using that PlasPrime stuff. Got it cheap as well.

Cheers

I'm in Felixstowe on the coast, just started Plastering and so far so good its only a hobby at the moment and only doing jobs for me self and mates etc. but going well. Just trying to add more strings to me bow as they say as its a tough market at them moment.
What is the day rates you guys charge where you live?

how did you get into plastering?? what are you originally trained in?? days rates vary dramtically on what your doing, who for, how much your doing, who you are and what you skill level is

Status
Not open for further replies.