Ceiling cracks

Members online

megamix

Morning guys . A coupe of weeks ago I over boarded and skimmed a lounge ceiling . The customer has just contacted to to say there is a long crack the length of the ceiling . I used 50mm screws through 2 layers of board and boarded across the joists and staggered the joints . I have explained that these things just happen. My house has them . I suggested that he just puts a light filler over it a rub it down. What your thoughts ?

Same as yours. It can happen through no fault of the spread. I’ve scrimmed and feathered in before to keep someone quiet but I’d suggest filler first

If you staggered the joins you can't possibly get a long crack unless the board split and that don't happen. Was it a bungalow? Bet its a bungalow. I get trouble with them. Get someone to walk about above and see if ceiling moves while you look up. If so get some timber and stand on it while screwing to joists so when you step off it lifts up. You probably want 4 3x4 inch. I'll stop there as need more info.. Could be a house but they don't crack so easy

No it’s a house . I’ve seen cracks appear at certain temperatures before and sometimes you can only see them when the light hits them at a certain angle . A lot of the time now I point out to the customer when either scrimming over cracks or overboarding doesn’t 100% prevent them from reappearing. I know it’s not what they want to hear but in my opinion it’s the truth

Once did a big ceiling in three hits. Pulled wrong scrim off . Nice crack . Customer tried to sort it but said f**k it in end.
Personally I.d offer to fill it for em

You should redo it for free, if you had used paper tapes this would not have been the best possible job. Very very rare I get a call back on paper taping the joins.

I prefer to join boards half way between the joists on a ceiling that's flexing too much

You should redo it for free, if you had used paper tapes this would not have been the best possible job. Very very rare I get a call back on paper taping the joins.
So I’ve I’ve been doing wrong all these years . I need stop using scrim tape and use paper tape

People think over-boarding solves everything. I avoid it unless it’s really needed which isn’t that often.

Did you check the ceiling was dropping before overboarding? Few courtesy screws to existing ceiling before over-boarding can do wonders.

Doesn’t sound like joist movement. Id say it’s the boaring done incorrectly. Also use 70mm minimum for overboard especially 12.5 boards

The ceiling was has light artex on. I removed all the high points . I can remember years ago at college we were taught to leave a gap around all the edges of the board . Might revert back to that

The ceiling was has light artex on. I removed all the high points . I can remember years ago at college we were taught to leave a gap around all the edges of the board . Might revert back to that

how come over boarded mate

I always over board artex now . Has a few bad experiences where artex has pulled away with the ceiling whilst trowelling up . I’m sure we’ve had that where you see a bulge appear and you know what’s going to happen .

I always over board artex now . Has a few bad experiences where artex has pulled away with the ceiling whilst trowelling up . I’m sure we’ve had that where you see a bulge appear and you know what’s going to happen .
A candidate for double visit skimming

I recommend going back mate and trying to sort it.

I dot and dap along board joins over artex because of movement. Still had the odd crack though and on one job I identified a joist that was moving so I dug out the wall edge and hammerd slates in to pack it up wood ceiling joist... Solved the problem problem but I got lucky when I noticed the movement when lad walked across the room above causing crack to keep coming back .

Morning guys . A coupe of weeks ago I over boarded and skimmed a lounge ceiling . The customer has just contacted to to say there is a long crack the length of the ceiling . I used 50mm screws through 2 layers of board and boarded across the joists and staggered the joints . I have explained that these things just happen. My house has them . I suggested that he just puts a light filler over it a rub it down. What your thoughts ?
What size boards did you use?

nexte stagger the joints

Over skim artex no prob if to rough bonding first. or over board shouldn't be a problem if done rhight. Never remove artex unless you test it first

Did you know, it's more "dangerous" to smash holes in artex to overboard, than to take peaks off and bond it out.. in regards to asbestos

Find the first one whith drill bits and second should be 16in center in old money or 400 in new should be same all the way

That’s why peoples boading cracks.

I find them either side of room as they are sometimes like bananas.

Chalk line if needed.

That’s why peoples boading cracks.

I find them either side of room as they are sometimes like bananas.

Chalk line if needed.
Yes it hard when ther like bananas I try not to hammer ceiling drill bit less dust

I also like to see the joist so I can get the joins bang on 50/50 of joist. Maybe that’s why mine don’t crack

Find the first one whith drill bits and second should be 16in center in old money or 400 in new should be same all the way

That's a risky game with the way some so called plumbers and sparks work.

If you staggered the joins you can't possibly get a long crack unless the board split and that don't happen. Was it a bungalow? Bet its a bungalow. I get trouble with them. Get someone to walk about above and see if ceiling moves while you look up. If so get some timber and stand on it while screwing to joists so when you step off it lifts up. You probably want 4 3x4 inch. I'll stop there as need more info.. Could be a house but they don't crack so easy
Bungalows, I have had probs with them,,, roof trusses, joist, they r pain.

That's a risky game with the way some so called plumbers and sparks work.
Yes your rhight. I rember me over boarding years ago finished boarding lady phoned me evening said her kitchen live she had a shock on the water tap nail straight through middle cable live touching earth had to go round every nail that night to find it by the way this was before dry wall screws fuking sparks lasy fukers

Try polycell crack free ceilings. Flexible paint. I carry a tub round in van and leave a little bit sometimes for customers to put on as base coat around stress points where I know it'll go. They love that touch. Just filling will mean crack returns. I skim a lot of artex. I rescrew joists where currently cracked and then use render mesh. Having fantastic results with that method, but yes, get the odd peeler now and again. Artex stabiliser is good prior to Pva or sbr if looking iffy (I know it's hard to tell) could write a book on trials and tribulations of ceiling hairline cracks.