Ceiling cracks

Paper tape is better but shrinks. I get on day before to stop the shrinking which shows through. Been over a year since I've used though.. How do others apply paper

Try polycell crack free ceilings. Flexible paint. I carry a tub round in van and leave a little bit sometimes for customers to put on as base coat around stress points where I know it'll go. They love that touch. Just filling will mean crack returns. I skim a lot of artex. I rescrew joists where currently cracked and then use render mesh. Having fantastic results with that method, but yes, get the odd peeler now and again. Artex stabiliser is good prior to Pva or sbr if looking iffy (I know it's hard to tell) could write a book on trials and tribulations of ceiling hairline cracks.

Yes
[/QUOTE good advice mate thanks . From someone else who has had the odd peeler. Why do most spreads on here automatically just say things like “ I always bond over artex first and I’ve never had a problem. Well you’ve not down enough then if you’ve never had a ceiling bleb. You can never tell which way there gonna go .

Paper tape is better but shrinks. I get on day before to stop the shrinking which shows through. Been over a year since I've used though.. How do others apply paper

Gyproc joint filler, mix slightly wetter than skim finish and butter the joins not too thin or thick then apply tape by hand then follow through gently with a trowel pushing excess filler out. I use tapered boards and go over them with more filler at the end. Internals are awkward and time consuming so you can use the wet n stick tape instead.
Normally skim next day if it’s a room but if just ceiling then let filler set for 90 mins.

Yes, that's always confused me. Those that also say.. "I've never had one crack, you're doing it wrong" And to those I say "yes, you have, really, you have, now stop being a silly billy and lying in public" ...If you started a thread asking if anyone had ever dropped a bit of plaster whilst skimming you'd get someone saying " no mate you're f**k**g useless, call yourself a spread"

Yes, that's always confused me. Those that also say.. "I've never had one crack, you're doing it wrong" And to those I say "yes, you have, really, you have, now stop being a silly billy and lying in public" ...If you started a thread asking if anyone had ever dropped a bit of plaster whilst skimming you'd get someone saying " no mate you're f**k**g useless, call yourself a spread"

You have to presume all artex ceilings pre 90s have asbestos in them. We have been told when over boarding to use small drill bit to find Center of joists, first spraying a drop of shaving foam on area to be drilled. When over boarding same process spray foam on point where fixing screw, then wipe off foam. Fp3 masks, over shoes or duck tape shoe laces, disposable overalls. Charge them for it, why cut corners to save customer a few quid. More to the point why take it home on your clothes for your kids to breathe it in.
I've seen it kill 3 people all of them in their early 60s.

You have to presume all artex ceilings pre 90s have asbestos in them. We have been told when over boarding to use small drill bit to find Center of joists, first spraying a drop of shaving foam on area to be drilled. When over boarding same process spray foam on point where fixing screw, then wipe off foam. Fp3 masks, over shoes or duck tape shoe laces, disposable overalls. Charge them for it, why cut corners to save customer a few quid. More to the point why take it home on your clothes for your kids to breathe it in.
Not from artex though?

You think that there would be an epidemic of guys dying of asbestosis given the amount of artex that was applied over the decades not to mention all the artex thats been recovered. Is there any evidence for such a thing.

You think that there would be an epidemic of guys dying of asbestosis given the amount of artex that was applied over the decades not to mention all the artex thats been recovered. Is there any evidence for such a thing.
Over the past 20 years I've heard "be careful with artex, it contains asbestos" and "don't worry about artex it contains only a small amount of relatively harmless white asbestos" . I don't think anyone really knows. Have British gypsum ever given advice on its artex pre-90s?

Over the past 20 years I've heard "be careful with artex, it contains asbestos" and "don't worry about artex it contains only a small amount of relatively harmless white asbestos" . I don't think anyone really knows. Have British gypsum ever given advice on its artex pre-90s?
I think they removed the asbestos at some point, not sure when but for some reason I have 1990 in my head

Asbestos firm turned up at a job i was on. I was skimming the ceiling id just scraped back too lol.

Had a chat with the bloke about it and he said basically IF there is any in artex its white and a small amount, he wouldn’t even be concerned about it.

It was tested and was free of asbestos as this was a pre90 build so its not in all artex.

He said it’s the old floor tiles that are more dangerous

Those early stippled ceiling are shite to prep for a reskim some of it rock hard to scrape back. The stipple is usually rounded rather than peaked.

Asbestos firm turned up at a job i was on. I was skimming the ceiling id just scraped back too lol.

Had a chat with the bloke about it and he said basically IF there is any in artex its white and a small amount, he wouldn’t even be concerned about it.

It was tested and was free of asbestos as this was a pre90 build so its not in all artex.

If I remember rightly there was the artex branded one in a white bag and stuff that was called contract in a a brown bag.

s**t my house is 1960s and I recently tools up a load of those really thin black tiles off the floors. Is that the ones that’s gonna kill me ?

Why is he gonna slip on them and break his neck?

No he’s gonna smash them with that rusty wallpaper scraper hes used to get em up. He’s unknowingly snorted dose of class A Columbian can’t feel my face grade Asbestos.

He’ll be coughing in 10 years and the diagnosis will be made

Not from artex though?
Who knows it's impossible to pin point a cause considering it can take 30 years to show up.
One of them was a demo man so probably been exposed to tons of the gear from different sources.
The other a electrician so possibly from suspended ceilings or drilling through ceilings.
The other an old school builder.
I work for a housing group about 10.000 properties and about 90% have artex ceilings containing the stuff.
Just be careful about what your taking home to your family.
I never used to bother about it until I see a family member die within a year of diagnosis.
His wife got a 500.000 pay out though, no good to him.
Think me wife's been adding it to my breaky since I've upped the life insurance.

A job some contractor's done cut into artex wall with chassing machine, customer knew it contained asbestos called in authorities had job shut down. Professional cleaners called in and got a load of compo. A massive headache.

i took up the first lot about 15 years ago in lounge . They are like really thin tiles stuck down with tar . Any how I’m still ok
Take them up most weeks. They are thin compared to ceramic, but thicker than most vynl tile. They are normally stuck with a tar like adhesive but mostly they pop up quite easily, whole as well. Although I have come across a Marley type vynl tile that tested positive.

Take them up most weeks. They are thin compared to ceramic, but thicker than most vynl tile. They are normally stuck with a tar like adhesive but mostly they pop up quite easily, whole as well. Although I have come across a Marley type vynl tile that tested positive.
t
Not a lot I can do about it now . All the years I’ve been working in old buildings you don’t know what you’ve breathed in . Better not knowing

Tell me about it, used to think it would be great to have my boy working with me when he is older. But now I hope he don't show any intrest in the building trade. It's fun while your young. And if he got a office job he could look at g strings all day instead of John's hairy crack popping out.
Although I still enjoy working the tools and even given a do over, I would still choose the building trade.