ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay73

i might have a ceiling coming up soon, but i think its that lathing plaster,now there's a bulg about 2 by 2 ft, now could i just cut out the bulg and put a piece of board in place then skim over the complete ceiling or will the complete ceiling have to be replaced. the house is about 70 yr old.thanks ::)

i might have a ceiling coming up soon, but i think its that lathing plaster,now there's a bulg about 2 by 2 ft, now could i just cut out the bulg and put a piece of board in place then skim over the complete ceiling or will the complete ceiling have to be replaced. the house is about 70 yr old.thanks ::)
lath and plaster ceilings are a very tricky beast , if i were you i would cut out the bulge, use weak pva on laths and around rim of old plaster. then build up pva strength to rim until almost neat. then use bonding to fill the hole, plaster ceiling as normal. be careful though , if the rest of the ceiling isnt sound it will start to crack ...... then much woe will ensue. best b safe and remove bulge then overboard.

i'd overboard it. find the joists then use 50mm drywall screws fix new board to joists. make sure customer knows the difference between "smooth" and "flat" before you start!

reading betwwen the lines, im gettin that your not very experienced...
so for that reason im gonna say rip the ceiling down and reboard it...
there could be a world of trouble waiting for you with an old ceiling thats starting to come down...bit of pressure and you could have the whole thing on your head...
leave patching these things to the guys with the experience and bottle to take a shot at it...you got a 50/50 chance of it goin right even with experience...
if youve never done one before...actually thinking about it...sod the money, assuming time is no object, have a go at patching it, wont cost much, if it looks like its gonna go pear shaped, rip it down, if not, skim it...

rip it down son, get a mask on think of some 1 u dont like and get on with it.
brilliant stuff, all the stress just goes.

unless u hit a pipe...
serious note like, i always tend to rip old ceillings down then reboard just for the sake of knowing the sh1t is gone and not just covered.
get it back to bare joists easier to screw then no messin around.
might need a few packs, if there is any warped joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.