Cement boards

Members online

stuart23

Private Member
Giving my mate a hand to covert his concrete garage into a gym. He wants to take the large folding door off and put in a small normal door, how would you go about blocking it up. Thinking building a timber frame then screwing cement board on out side and plasterboard on inside. Is this right and if not how would you do it? He's not wanting to throw loads of cash at it just wants it watertight.

Ah use timber stud with celotex and vapour barrier internal cement boards and light weight system external? Make sure the sole plate is protected from rot and if security is an real big concern sheath with osb/ply then cement board. Or clad it in something

Ah use timber stud with celotex and vapour barrier internal cement boards and light weight system external? Make sure the sole plate is protected from rot and if security is an real big concern sheath with osb/ply then cement board. Or clad it in something
What's the sole plate? What do you use to fix the cement boards to the timber?

The whole is the flat timber on the floor the base for the stud I think each manufacturer has its specced screws for each system, I've only used what was given to me and only it once

What's the sole plate? What do you use to fix the cement boards to the timber?

Hi Stuart

Message me, I’ll help you out with some info on how to timber stud and clad inside and out. My brother did something similar with his garage a few years back.

You will have to put a low level plinth or block wall up with a DPC (plastic layer) under to get the timber away from surface water

Rich

Build a 4x2 or thicker studwork frame with c16 timber. Put a dpc on floor first and wrap it up frame. Fit celotex between studs. Staple a dpm over it. Clad with ply, then Use plastic cladding on outside/inside.

Don't forget to fit your door!

PS, as RWS said, run a course of bricks along bottom first.