Cheap way to stop Damp...in bomb shelter?

Members online

TheVanguard

Hi

I am close to buying a house, as well as a standard garage, it also has another underground garage which I understand may have been converted from an old WW2 bomb shelter.

The house is on a hill and the garage dug into that hill...it’s steel re-enforced concrete and I guess 6 to 8 inches thick. It’s probably10ft or so under ground and surrounded by earth on all sides except the front.

It’s a bit damp...not overly so but I would like to make it waterproof enough to store some bikes in...could I get a local builder plasterer to tank it and would that cost and would that be sufficient...?

Obviously if it’s too expensive it would be cheaper just to buy a shed, but I would like to make use of it as possible.

Complete newbie here and any help appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like fighting serial killer talk! :LOL:

You could stud it, insulate and vapour board for a cheaper method.... or maybe sound boards would better suit ? :inocente:;)

What ever u do on the inside it will always be damp in my experience see its the clay fill needs a drain around outside and needs stone back fill a couple of feet out from wall big job i know but its that or live with the damp

Oh for Christ’s sake...........pfffft......
Get a spade and dig off all that dirt that’s piled up on it, cut a window in the far end so you can ventilate it nicely. Drain water into a soak away.
There.

Hi

I am close to buying a house, as well as a standard garage, it also has another underground garage which I understand may have been converted from an old WW2 bomb shelter.

The house is on a hill and the garage dug into that hill...it’s steel re-enforced concrete and I guess 6 to 8 inches thick. It’s probably10ft or so under ground and surrounded by earth on all sides except the front.

It’s a bit damp...not overly so but I would like to make it waterproof enough to store some bikes in...could I get a local builder plasterer to tank it and would that cost and would that be sufficient...?

Obviously if it’s too expensive it would be cheaper just to buy a shed, but I would like to make use of it as possible.

Complete newbie here and any help appreciated

Thanks

In all seriousness buy a shed.

Cellers best just ask landlords lol

Yeah but there's the leccie to swiz or you risk or you risk the provider grassing you up, then the Guards run off with your grow.... or worse.

Do it on someone else's leccie is a way better idea, so long as they don't twig before you mow.

Oh for Christ’s sake...........pfffft......
Get a spade and dig off all that dirt that’s piled up on it, cut a window in the far end so you can ventilate it nicely. Drain water into a soak away.
There.

Joking aside I think that is what I will do