1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold spots.

Discussion in 'Damp And Damp Proofing Discussions' started by mikejchapman, Jan 27, 2018.

1. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

I converted our dining room a good few years ago now and have always had cold spots all over the external wall where each dab is. The 2nd pic shows a spot in a corner which although dry has black marks over a small area of a couple of inches.
    I put up the plaster boards and the wall was the inner skin of blocks, its a cavity wall with brick on the external.
    We have issues with soft furnishings going mildewed and the room is generally cold. We have rads both ends.

Any advice would be welcomed please, as we'd really like to finally sort it out. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

3. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

Any pics of the wall outside behind it?

4. Tinytom

Tinytom Active Member

I’d guess a combination of water ingress and no trickle vents in the windows? Stagnant damp air.
    The water ingress could be from dirty wall ties causing a bridge across the cavity, mortar in the insulation leaking roof gutter without seeing it’s anyones guess

5. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

Not at the moment. It's brick, pine end and has no water running down it and the damp course should be ok. The dining rm was garage has always had a room above too.

6. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

So it was a single skin wall and you built a block wall in front? Did you insulate it?

7. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

No its always been double skin. Used to be a garage, but always had a room above. Didn't touch the wall at all.

8. johniosaif

johniosaif Private Member

Rip off the board that there ,you might get further information ,replace it with insulated board with a membranę , dąb it on with tile adhesive or just mechanical fix, make sure there's ventilation as stated above

9. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

Thanks John.

10. flynnyman

flynnyman Private Member

What did you do with the floor?

11. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

The floor was raised with concrete, self leveller and pva. In hindsight not the best as it's a cold floor as a result. I did once take some of the laminate up as i thought the floor must be damp but it was dry.

12. essexandy

essexandy Private Member

Just because it's damp where each dab of adhesive is doesn't mean that there's damp coming in, it is likely that each dab is a cold spot and that the surface of the wall has become the dew point.
    You should have at the very least checked that the cavity hadn't been bridged and preferably filled it with insulation.

13. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

The wall was already there, double skin wall block and brick. The inside of the wall was dry as a garage, i supposenit would have had plenty of air circulation as a garage, even if there was rubble in the cavity? It might be that as it was a garage they weren't so careful?

14. jet

jet Active Member

Should of had buildimg regs
    Which would of covered regs for habitable room ..
    Fire proofing /insulation/ventilation
    Means of escape damp proofing

15. mikejchapman

mikejchapman New Member

It did mate.

16. Arti

Arti Private Member

Cut the dabs out and fill the holes with expanding foam. It's a better insulator and it won't allow the passage of moisture

• Funny Funny x 1