Condensation

Members online

S a plastering

Private Member
Just looked at a job which has no cavity 9 inch wall with header bricks going through its getting a lot of condensation on it ive suggested dabbing a thermal board on it do you think this woulld sort it or is there any other way thanks

Just looked at a job which has no cavity 9 inch wall with header bricks going through its getting a lot of condensation on it ive suggested dabbing a thermal board on it do you think this woulld sort it or is there any other way thanks
It could be that the bricks are porous and getting really cold. A simple fix could be something like Stormdry on the brick outside and see if it improves. Otherwise it’ll have to be insulation like you said.

9" is no good for heat retention. Old stone cottages had walls of 24" plus. That wall is at least cold. It needs at least insulation.

Hot or cold air contains water vapour. When warm air hits a cold surface then the moisture in the air just turns to water which is how condensation forms.

There has to be a barrier of insulation to stop the warm air touching a cold surface.

You have to decide what kind of barrier is going to fit the customers budget.

Probably the cheapest would be dabbing insulated boards to a wall. But it wont be the most effective. It may be the cheapest.

The most effective would be to insulate and stud out. This would be the most expensive also.

Just give them the options and costs and let them worry about it and move on until they make a decision.

Sorted mine . And they were that cold whenever we ran a bath water would stream down bedroom wall

Hot or cold air contains water vapour. When warm air hits a cold surface then the moisture in the air just turns to water which is how condensation forms.

There has to be a barrier of insulation to stop the warm air touching a cold surface.

You have to decide what kind of barrier is going to fit the customers budget.

Probably the cheapest would be dabbing insulated boards to a wall. But it wont be the most effective. It may be the cheapest.

The most effective would be to insulate and stud out. This would be the most expensive also.

Just give them the options and costs and let them worry about it and move on until they make a decision.
Going to quote them gypliner metal stud then insulation then foil back boards what ya think mate?

Going to quote them gypliner metal stud then insulation then foil back boards what ya think mate?
I have never seen that system. I have seen insulated boards fixed to existing wall with large plastic plugs...........worked well although some old cottage walls are not flat and fixing to existing wall just follows the contour.

I have seen studded new internal wall and kingspan insulation..............flat level plumb............perfect.

Problem is with best option that some people cant lose up to 6" of room space.

I have never seen that system. I have seen insulated boards fixed to existing wall with large plastic plugs...........worked well although some old cottage walls are not flat and fixing to existing wall just follows the contour.

I have seen studded new internal wall and kingspan insulation..............flat level plumb............perfect.

Problem is with best option that some people cant lose up to 6" of room space.
Plenty of room in this corridor

Scrat
scratch coat wall whith waterproofer dab insolated boards stick some vent in to get air circulation

The suggestions are endless. Could be fixed with a £40 bucket of Stormdry though. A wet brick is a cold brick. It’s been fine for nearly 100 years.

Once you've thermal boarded it you won't be getting condensation , or minimal , damp from outside maybe

Once you've thermal boarded it you won't be getting condensation , or minimal , damp from outside maybe
An upgrade to strengthen the wall
DND ( with adhesive ) thermal board with 25 mm washer fixings , leave decent gap around boards , foam fill for 100℅ damp barrier , this layer can be quick as not accurate
Then DND plasterboard top layer ( breaking joints ) using lots of small dots , solid in second fix areas

You can only get condensation when warm air cools when it hits something cold.

When cold air hits something warm it doesnt cause condensation.
For a real cheap solution you can get thermal liner paper. I have used this, originally as a temp solution but it has done the trick so have just left alone.
Was north end of bungalow so coldest part all the hot moist air from kitchen and bathroom was drawn down there.
Only started after having kids, extra washing, bathing and breathing.
If I stoped the later it would have cured the former.

We get it on our solid wood front and back doors from the kitchen..............remedy another extractor fan on order,

We get it on our solid wood front and back doors from the kitchen..............remedy another extractor fan on order,
Try turning the heating down or get your neighbours to chip in for their heating

I'm kipping in my transit , no heating , give me your address and I'll park outside

You can only get condensation when warm air cools when it hits something cold.

When cold air hits something warm it doesnt cause condensation.
All true.

Also people occupying the space release water vapour when breathing. Fresh air ventilation is such case, reduces relative humidity, reducing chance of condensation.

Rather than dab you can use that instastick foam stuff. Done it a few times if you don't have the space to frame it all out and you don't get any tranferance of moisture through the foam like you would with dab