Coving

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris16

Does anyone do coving?

Just wondering if it is worth doing a course in it

Just thinking it would be useful if l turned up to do a quote and could talk them into having some coving fitted

What do you think?

havnt got a clue about meterage but, i can cove 3-4 rooms a day, so 40 quid a room. living rooms take a bit longer because of chimney breast and alcoves so probably £50

Not to bad, a little bit of extra beer money wouldn't go amiss

I might try and get hold of the dvd and give it go

It really is easy mate i wouln't waste money on a course you could pick it up in ten minutes.If you know someone that is doing some just spend the morning with them and you'll get it.The metal wondermitre's you can buy in merchants give you all your angles,chalk a line round the room and you can't go wrong

Thanks for the advice

Just a quick question do you need to pin it place or does the adhesive hold it, just don't want to start knocking nails into a newly plastered wall

adhesive holds it in place, but sometimes u need to nail it at the join so they marry up perfectly

Just put up 50m of coving on fresh skimmed walls, not one pin, on mi own. Theres a nak to it but not 2 difficult. I use 2 hop ups, slap into corner then push other side up, then work along length. best to mark on walls where edge needs to be, 83mm for 127mm coving.

What i always do is cut two internals about a metre long offer them up where there a perfect fit mark under them with a pencil then chalk line round the room keep the bottom edge of the coving to the mark and your laughing,you want to pva 4" down from ceiling and along ceiling from wall aswell and clean of adhesive as you go with sponge or splash brush i use scraper first to scrape of excess adhesive then clean off.

Chris one last bit of advice with the adhesive you only want to knock up a bit at a time with clean water in a clean bucket ,about 2"of water in a bucket it doesn't last long,unless you stick it up with artex you can knock up as much!

i used dri wall the other day and it lasted for 2 hours. i use it quite slopy though, when putting coving up.

Artex is great for sticking it ecspecailly if you've got a lot to do.Someone once told me you shouldn't use it but i've never had any come down yet i just knock it up the same thickness as adhesive and if it goes off a bit just run some water through it i just got fed up with coving adhesive going off in the bucket the wall the coving and all my tools.

depends mate, if its painted - no, if ive just skimmed it - no, if its a day or two old fresh plaster then yes, wet one one coat, just stick the roller in the corner and pull it out about 4 inches...
if you dont and you use artex or board adhesive it'll be wanting to come off again...

iv never done covin b4 would mind tryin it..my dad used dabing compond 2 stick them rather than cove bonding..is that a good idea?

yes mate, its what i do, wickes board adhesive is white too, added bonus..
goes off bleedin quick but at 6 quid for 25kg its better value than artex or cove adhesive..
artex works well, takes longer to go off but smells like wet dog...
covin is absolutely piss easy...and you get loads of work cos people just cant do it..

piss easy unless the room is out of square or ceiling line is fecked!
ceiling line - more adhesive, thicker, use dabbin...
out of square - mark the intersections on the ceiling and measure it...mark the cove and cut to mark (whilst holding it square) same way you'd do a 135 angle...failing that, butt and scribe it with a coping saw, same way you would skirting board...
only thing i really really struggle with is curved bleedin walls??????
anyone ever succeeded in bending coving??

3.6m square room takes about an 1h10m start to finish, 1 off, gear back in van...
2 rooms takes about 1h 40m...
any more than that start usin artex cos it'll last nearly all day...

easy stick 4 bits of coving up in 45 minutes...

all depends on the rooms and number of bits of cove...

and what time you wanna be down the pub ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.