damp chimney alcove

duffman

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on the best way forward on how to make good a damp chimney alcove. The alcove has been taken back to brick, and has dried out. I was going to seal the wall with Sika waterproof coating and then render it, and skim over. But to save a bit of time could I plasterboard it instead. I know cant I use a gypsum based product with the Sika waterproof seal, but could I use Soudal Plasterboard Adhesive Foam instead and then board over and then skim it?

Thanks in advance, any tips and suggestions welcome.

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on the best way forward on how to make good a damp chimney alcove. The alcove has been taken back to brick, and has dried out. I was going to seal the wall with Sika waterproof coating and then render it, and skim over. But to save a bit of time could I plasterboard it instead. I know cant I use a gypsum based product with the Sika waterproof seal, but could I use Soudal Plasterboard Adhesive Foam instead and then board over and then skim it?

Thanks in advance, any tips and suggestions welcome.
Are you on about inside the fire its self. If so if your putting a burner in might be other regs you need @Tinytom

Hi John, thanks for answering. The area that needs to be done isn't inside or on the chimney stack it's self but the recess area between the chimney and the window wall. Sorry I probably wasn't very clear about that. It's about 5 square metres in area if that.

If it’s just an alcove then foam ,board and
skim seems fine.
If it’s internal to take a stove there are loads of finished cement boards that you just paint.