Damp/ water proof victorian lower ground

Luccombe

Good morning from a newbie. I've read lots of quality advice on the forum over the last few days, but can' find anything specifically related to my issue. Would be great to get expert views, as I've been given conflicting advice by builders so far. Have tried to keep it short - have got three questions...

I am renovating a victorian house (solid wall, no cavity) that has a lower ground that I would like to make habitable - single room at front of house (30sqm). Previous owner concrete rendered outside and inside and used it for storage. Currently removing all concrete and will re-render outside with lime to allow the wall to 'breath'. I've been recommended vandex for inside, but seems to me that any concrete slurry will undo benefit of external lime render

First question: Is vandex inside and lime render outside a good idea?

I will also be lowering the floor level (no deeper than foundations) and so the bottom foot of the wall will be subterranean. To prevent water ingress I am considering a membrane/ sump pump solution, with the membrane covering the floor and at least the foot of the subterranean wall.

Second question: Is membrane/ pump solution suited to solid wall construction?
Third question: Is there an alternative system I should be considering?

Thank you!

Good morning from a newbie. I've read lots of quality advice on the forum over the last few days, but can' find anything specifically related to my issue. Would be great to get expert views, as I've been given conflicting advice by builders so far. Have tried to keep it short - have got three questions...

I am renovating a victorian house (solid wall, no cavity) that has a lower ground that I would like to make habitable - single room at front of house (30sqm). Previous owner concrete rendered outside and inside and used it for storage. Currently removing all concrete and will re-render outside with lime to allow the wall to 'breath'. I've been recommended vandex for inside, but seems to me that any concrete slurry will undo benefit of external lime render

First question: Is vandex inside and lime render outside a good idea?

I will also be lowering the floor level (no deeper than foundations) and so the bottom foot of the wall will be subterranean. To prevent water ingress I am considering a membrane/ sump pump solution, with the membrane covering the floor and at least the foot of the subterranean wall.

Second question: Is membrane/ pump solution suited to solid wall construction?
Third question: Is there an alternative system I should be considering?

Thank you!
You'll find that BC will want you to underpin the footings if you want to drop the floor, membrane, sump, stud, board and skim if you go down that route

Thanks for the quick reply. Having read further more on the forum, I will avoid Vandex on the inside. Presumably, with some air gap from the membrane, the wall will be able to breathe.

Two quick follow ups on the membrane solution...

With only a foot (max) of the wall below ground level...
1. How high should the membrane go?
2. Is a sump pump actually needed?

Your probably going to need building control and planning to make this a habital area. These people will have a say on what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk