Darby's

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobirees

I wanted some opinions of darby's . Im not a plasterer by trade but ive done loads of plastering over the years and have 13 - 14 " trowel . I like the idea of a derby for the 1st hit on the plaster to get a nice flat base to work off rather than a trowel working it and creating mini-dips here and there. I have never seen a darby in action and just wanted some help as to whether its worth investing in 1? .

i will have to work out how to use it properly granted , but do people use them and like them or are they considered useless . like i said before i have no previous knowledge of them and only seen them for sale and was just wondering

It really depends on what you have been taught with. I think these days most prefer feather edge to darby, but it really is personal prefference,as to which you find more comfortable.

Personally, I don't get on with the darby, but thats just me.

But it and try it, its the only way you will know for sure.

i'm gonna have to buy 1 i think . Just to satisfy my curiosity . I mainly like the thought of after its all laid on using a darby to sweep across a square wall to smooth it all out nicely

I'm a plasterer but have flown many times with Ryanair and easy jet. Been thinking about getting an airplane for ages. What would you lads suggest, a 737 or an airbus, it's only for short haul flights for me and family ?

You need to get something smaller first Eddie, just to see if you like it. There's a lot more responsibilty than you think owning a plane, so maybe start off with a Leerjet if it's just for the family. Trust me on this & before you know it you WILL be ready for the 747 or similar, so you can begin to charge friends, and their friends, then you'll want your name on the side of it......... 'Steady Eddies Cunni Lingus Flights' or something like that. Perhaps I could suggest that you use the services of a more experienced pilot to help you along for a few years first - I believe John Travolta is available. Oh and if you DO go down this road, remember that you need a decent lock-up for it too.

On a side-note, I, err, just happen to be selling my old Leerjet, so if you're interested take a look on here. Thanks:RpS_thumbup:

Learjet for sale on AircraftDealer.com

Interesting......I've been giving serious thought to entering the London 2012 olympics. Does anyone know where I might purchase a high grade pole vault, you see I'm a little overweight.

I have never used a darby but if your only doing small bits then I doubt you would get your monies worth out of it :)

and to everybody else be a bit nicer :)

I've always found them awkward to use, with the handles at 90 degrees to the flat of the edge. As Danny says probably better saving your money and using a 5 foot peice of skirting board or similar.

I prefer a wooden edge anyway.

Derbys a great tool,like everything else, it has a place in the back of my van.I got my 1st 1 free from DBP, in a package.

I use mine to knock down walls and smash things up , i think its a demolition derby.....:RpS_laugh:.

i use a darby all the time esp for float and set i were thought to use 1 so its second nature i get get quite a straight wall to doin it free hand but i did have a good teacher never seen any1 skim with 1 though

its worth getting one mate just too try it,if you dont get on with it just use it as a straight edge for other work.i like using one for bonding work,in addition to a feather edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.