Drainage

Members online

stuart23

Private Member
Anyone know anything about drainage? Corner of my garden keeps getting saturated when it rains so putting in drainage to soak this away. Going with 80mm perforated drainage on a bed of pea gravel covered in terram then buried in more pea gravel does this sound right? Going to run the drainage into a drain next to my house. Looking at the pic does the spacing look ok if it’s the right hand corner that has the problem?
C800C419-9467-4D9A-A1FF-BBCF0B36C1FA.jpeg

Anyone know anything about drainage? Corner of my garden keeps getting saturated when it rains so putting in drainage to soak this away. Going with 80mm perforated drainage on a bed of pea gravel covered in terram then buried in more pea gravel does this sound right? Going to run the drainage into a drain next to my house. Looking at the pic does the spacing look ok if it’s the right hand corner that has the problem?View attachment 25554

Bob on. That's exactly how I do it. Gravel on top won't do very much though. Sand might be better.

Last edited:
Would there not be more chance of the sand blocking up the perforations?

Yes but I'm on about on top.

Pretty sure the soil will find its was into the gravel anyway. The important bit is what's under the terram, not on top. I just reckon sand is a bit more soil friendly.

I had similar problem in my back garden too..I done almost same as you but I ran the drainage into a meter square soakaway down near a row of hedges....been all good since(y)....

my friends garden floods so he made a soakaway that has a pump so that when it has rained he can then pump the water back out when it is convenient :D

If it's a combined system didn't think you were allowed to run it into a drain soakaways should be run into a big soakaway pit I'm sure?

fatarm is correct you need to build a soakaway.
you are not suppose to run water from the water table into a foul drain, as it costs the local water company money to purify the foul water.

You can go into storm though, can't you?

I was taught that you don't go into foul because it's one thing to overload storm in inclement weather, but if you overload the foul, it's a different kettle of fish?

I had similar problem in my back garden too..I done almost same as you but I ran the drainage into a meter square soakaway down near a row of hedges....been all good since(y)....
Was going to do a soak away but thought it would be too much digging.

DA8E2AB0-89AF-4A63-B31A-826339D3094F.jpeg

Dug it out yesterday and this was sitting in the bit that normally floods, rest was fine. If I can get that away I’ll be laughing.

• Funny
Reactions: Djr
fatarm is correct you need to build a soakaway.
you are not suppose to run water from the water table into a foul drain, as it costs the local water company money to purify the foul water.
I’m putting it into the drain that my down pipes run into, surely that’s ok?

:aburrido:
In your case is taking it away before it soaks unless........
Ps.I still think you have a petrol well there:D.But then.....you can't be that lucky after all :fuckyou:
It’s only the corner that’s bad so not wanting to line the bits where it does soak away naturally if that makes sense.

It’s only the corner that’s bad so not wanting to line the bits where it does soak away naturally if that makes sense.
Water travels mate, the bits that look dry is very likely the path of the water, hence I said if I were you I'll do another two where the swing is. This way you'll minimise the amount ow water going to that corner, unless it comes from your neighbor, then the drainage should be alongside the fence

Water travels mate, the bits that look dry is very likely the path of the water, hence I said if I were you I'll do another two where the swing is. This way you'll minimise the amount ow water going to that corner, unless it comes from your neighbor, then the drainage should be alongside the fence
The back fence has a paved path other side which is higher than my garden so I’m sure it comes in there and the neighbours is chipped so I’m sure it’s running down from that as well.

I’m putting it into the drain that my down pipes run into, surely that’s ok?

the trouble is Stuart you have hit the water table. if you try to run the water into the drain that your downpipes run into the water will run into a soakaway. as the water table has broken through into your garden there is no where for the extra water to go so it will end up back in the same spot the lowest place in your garden.

the trouble is Stuart you have hit the water table. if you try to run the water into the drain that your downpipes run into the water will run into a soakaway. as the water table has broken through into your garden there is no where for the extra water to go so it will end up back in the same spot the lowest place in your garden.
Malc this isn’t what I’m wanting to be hearing

@Stevieo @vfr12 can any of you confirm what malcs saying or will I just put him on my ignore list and plead ignorance lol
He has a point ,as I said before water travels and always will end up at the lowest point , unless you create another lower point, whicyis the idea of having a drainage. “Soak away naturaly” was funny as f**k , but I pretended I haven’t seen it:endesacuerdo:.

@Stevieo @vfr12 can any of you confirm what malcs saying or will I just put him on my ignore list and plead ignorance lol

If the top of that water is even half an inch higher than your drain, then you'll be grand. If it's not, you're fooked mate.

View attachment 25593

It can be something much smaller

Presume that drum isn't sealed and is there to give the gravel a head start over a traditional soakaway?

Seems a bit pointless unless there's some sort of mechanism to pump the water out? Presume there is?