ewi finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can but.....
....but despite what some builders and renderers think or even one manufacturer in particular who is saying you can use the standard monocouche over insulation board, you need to use the polymer modified version - Monorex EHI is the parex version, weber M1 is the weber version, monocouche TXF is Monocouche renders version and enewall have one - apart from that I dont think any other manufacturer have a true light weight polymer mono and really you should not use standard cementious render over insulation as it is too brittle and hard.

you normally have to base first with the polymer adhesive such as maite and mesh coats once dry you spray your modified mono, weber M1 however goes straight over without the use of polymer adhesive (weber lac) first altough its better to use the parex spec IMO - polymer base/mesh scratch followed by the modded mono

I don't buy into it tbh......we did a Parex ewi job recently using ehi. The customer fitted the boards and to be fair they were fully bonded and the tightest boarding I've seen. He was a right perfectionist and took ages to do it before we turned up. We then sprayed the maite & mesh and left for a week or so. Sprayed the ehi.....nice finish and the customer was over the moon.
Phones us up a couple of weeks later. There's loads of hairline cracks in daft places. There's a few around openings that had stress patches but most worrying is there's long horizontal ones in the middle of the gable end. They're only cosmetic and he's applied para guard so they shouldn't show up when wet....but tbh they've ruined a good job done to spec.
Think these hard renders are on the limit of what's possible over insulation. I wouldn't use them on my house. I'd maybe do a roughcast in them but for a flat finish I reckon stick to thin coat.

yeah there is alot of bad feedback on using mono over substrates such as insulation/framed boarded buildings.

thing is pal if you do it to spec and it does go then its the manufacturers issue and you can hand it over to them, something you cant do if using standard monocouche products

Status
Not open for further replies.