Extending Plaster Setting Time ?

Members online

Scottsav

Hi all,

New to this group today and wanting to ask a little question.

Has anyone ever used anything to slow the setting down of plaster between mixes ? A plasterer who i used to work for who now works in Australia has mentioned the creme of tartar ?

I've also seen a product called Plaster mix in a yellow packaging.

The reason im wanting to know is barbecue ive gone from plastering full time to plastering on a weekend and i really just do one wall at a time ( i dont like to rush about ;). Could call me lazy lol ) but this is taking like 2.5 days when including the ceiling and goes into a second weekend. Could do with doing a ceiling and 2 walls one day and 2 the next.

And tips or good ideas will be apreciated :)

Thanks scott

Hi all,

Has anyone ever used anything to slow the setting down of plaster between mixes ? A plasterer who i used to work for who now works in Australia has mentioned the creme of tartar ?

The reason im wanting to know is barbecue ive gone from plastering full time to plastering on a weekend and i really just do one wall at a time ( i dont like to rush about ;). Could call me lazy lol ) but this is taking like 2.5 days when including the ceiling and goes into a second weekend. Could do with doing a ceiling and 2 walls one day and 2 the next.

Thanks scott

Hiya

Welcome to tpf

You can use a product called extra time it is basically creme of tartar and that will add on about 49 .minutes to the setting time of multi finish

Hi all,

Thanks scott
Also I didn't know barbecue was a full time profession! As if this is the case I'm f**k**g Levi roots mofo!

Hiya

Welcome to tpf

You can use a product called extra time it is basically creme of tartar and that will add on about 49 .minutes to the setting time of multi finish

Ive seen a few comments else where mentioning it reduces the srentgh of the plaster and makes it go a little funny ?

Have you actually used it before ?

Also how much exactly to a full bag ?

Ive seen a few comments else where mentioning it reduces the srentgh of the plaster and makes it go a little funny ?

Have you actually used it before ?

Also how much exactly to a full bag ?

I have used it a lot to be honeat

Another shout for extra time if needed but tbh you should push yourself to be able to trowel on and up two walls at a time , maybe take a look at set up of water and buckets at the ready to make it easier to just work the walls
On ceilings I’d just do that on its own tbf sets up the rest of the room to be done with ease

Hi all,

Thanks scott

Extra time works well mate. I’m a multi turder, lowest of the low, dog s**t etc.
I’ve used it a few times on big ceilings (for me anyway) and it gave me about another 40 mins to get it on (bang a gong) and ride a white swan.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Who here flattens their first coat before they lay on the second coat ?

Or do you just lay the second coat straight onto the first ?

Another shout for extra time if needed but tbh you should push yourself to be able to trowel on and up two walls at a time , maybe take a look at set up of water and buckets at the ready to make it easier to just work the walls
On ceilings I’d just do that on its own tbf sets up the rest of the room to be done with ease
That's what I do. Ceiling and reveals. Two walls two walls hand out for the cash. Takes me a day and a half. Bill for two. Job's a good un.

I don't believe you ever plastered full time if you can't do 2 bedroom walls in one go and still take it easy. Anyone should be able to put a bag on at a time comfortably

I don't believe you ever plastered full time if you can't do 2 bedroom walls in one go and still take it easy. Anyone should be able to put a bag on at a time comfortably
I wish I only had to put a bag on a day that would be my dream job!! And still get paid the same lol done for 10am everyday sign me up! :ROFLMAO:

I wish I only had to put a bag on a day that would be my dream job!! And still get paid the same lol done for 10am everyday sign me up! :ROFLMAO:
Ha sounds alright doenst it. This guy's struggling to put on 4bags ish on in 2 days and used to be a full time plasterer, just doesn't sound right. Maybe he was always on day rate lol