Extension

Members online

Tinytom

So I fancy building a single story extension as a pose to a conservatory. Aim to add value and give me more room at home. Iv been looking into it and it seems it would come under permitted development, iv got a man hold right where I’d want to build it. Any building folk on here that can advise me on the BC side of things? Do they need to come out before during after or all 3? I’ll do everything myself bar the electrical work. Priced it up at just under 4K for the materials not including skips and conny for the raft. Sound about right? It would be approx 3m x 4m velux in the roof
@imago

So I fancy building a single story extension as a pose to a conservatory. Aim to add value and give me more room at home. Iv been looking into it and it seems it would come under permitted development, iv got a man hold right where I’d want to build it. Any building folk on here that can advise me on the BC side of things? Do they need to come out before during after or all 3? I’ll do everything myself bar the electrical work. Priced it up at just under 4K for the materials not including skips and conny for the raft. Sound about right? It would be approx 3m x 4m velux in the roof
@imago
The best thing to do is tunnel underneath your neighbours property and run the pipework there. John will be best to advise on this.

The best thing to do is tunnel underneath your neighbours property and run the pipework there. John will be best to advise on this.
lol I’m not on about teeing into the man hole it’s just in the way, is it as easy as move it then bridge the footings over the pipe or do bc have another way they prefer?

@imago
In all seriousness it sounds good.
BC will want to come out at footings/raft stage (haven't heard of a raft around here in ages), once the structure is up and on completion.
I've had to screed around/in manhole covers that end up inside where it's going to be tiled.

lol I’m not on about teeing into the man hole it’s just in the way, is it as easy as move it then bridge the footings over the pipe or do bc have another way they prefer?

It's possible to buy a sealed lid thing. If you're doing it through the BI, then why not just ask him to advise when you get him out to look at the footing?

In all seriousness it sounds good.
BC will want to come out at footings/raft stage (haven't heard of a raft around here in ages), once the structure is up and on completion.
I've had to screed around/in manhole covers that end up inside where it's going to be tiled.
Yes it’s not been problem having a screened and tiled manhole in Kent for us

Move the manhole outside especially if it's your gaff mate it's not good practice and anything happens your literally in the s**t!, you don't want any blockages or rodding happening internally

Move the manhole outside especially if it's your gaff mate it's not good practice and anything happens your literally in the s**t!, you don't want any blockages or rodding happening internally
It wouldn’t be inside it’s right where I want to build 1 of the walls so it’s got to move

You need a buildover agreement with Thames water , no manholes areallowed internally anymore , can you post a plan showing the layout and the run of the pipes ,

It's possible to buy a sealed lid thing. If you're doing it through the BI, then why not just ask him to advise when you get him out to look at the footing?
Sealed lids are not acceptable internal anymore , a build up of gas can cause .....

@imago
Are you burying your missus ?

@imago

As @johniosaif said, whichever water authority you're under will be the first port of call. They will tell you if it's public (someone else connected before you on the run) or private (you're the first/only house on it). If it's private then you'll need to deal with the manhole/drain run as they require. If it's public then forget the extension as they will refuse permission to build over it, and moving the whole run will cost an absolute fortune if they allow it which is unlikely.

BTW, BC won't sign off without seeing the permission from the water authority.

As @johniosaif said, whichever water authority you're under will be the first port of call. They will tell you if it's public (someone else connected before you on the run) or private (you're the first/only house on it). If it's private then you'll need to deal with the manhole/drain run as they require. If it's public then forget the extension as they will refuse permission to build over it, and moving the whole run will cost an absolute fortune if they allow it which is unlikely.

BTW, BC won't sign off without seeing the permission from the water authority.

What a pain in the ass

What a pain in the ass

It's the biggest hurdle now for extensions. Ironically when the water companies were forced to adopt public sewers in 2011 it was supposed to improve things for customers.

As an example, we live in a 1930s semi there were thousands built in Birmingham around the same time. They all have a garage to the detached side under which the water, electric and drains run. Our drain starts in our house, crosses into next door and then the 9" runs to the street under next doors garage. We can build over (and have) as we're the first house (of two) on the run, as soon as our drain meets theirs the drain becomes public, which then runs to the main link. The upshot of which is that while we can convert the garage and put up a two storey extension, they won't even get permission for a garage conversion as it will cover 3 metres of a 'public' sewer.

It's the biggest hurdle now for extensions. Ironically when the water companies were forced to adopt public sewers in 2011 it was supposed to improve things for customers.

As an example, we live in a 1930s semi there were thousands built in Birmingham around the same time. They all have a garage to the detached side under which the water, electric and drains run. Our drain starts in our house, crosses into next door and then the 9" runs to the street under next doors garage. We can build over (and have) as we're the first house (of two) on the run, as soon as our drain meets theirs the drain becomes public, which then runs to the main link. The upshot of which is that while we can convert the garage and put up a two storey extension, they won't even get permission for a garage conversion as it will cover 3 metres of a 'public' sewer.

That is bonkers

My sewer runs along the back of my garden , it’s 2.5m parallel along the back from the old footprint,it’s now within my new extension and it’s built over where it enters and where it leaves my property,it goes under my loving neighbours and then turns right sharp,y under their kitchen and onto the road ,each sixth house does this, only 4 build overs in a row are allowed

Do the same regs not apply to conservatories then?

They're exempt from building regs completely if they're under 30 square metres and have an "external quality" (the usual upvc) door between them and the house. But as no one's called out to check, even those rules are frequently flouted.

Add in the craziness of any extension pre 2011 not falling under the same rules you can have two houses side by side where one has an extension that's older than 7 years and the other house wants one. When they apply for permission they can't do it even though a shared sewer runs under the other extension.

Then there's all the occasions where un-mapped sewers are classed as dead but aren't and vice-versa.

They're exempt from building regs completely if they're under 30 square metres and have an "external quality" (the usual upvc) door between them and the house. But as no one's called out to check, even those rules are frequently flouted.

Add in the craziness of any extension pre 2011 not falling under the same rules you can have two houses side by side where one has an extension that's older than 7 years and the other house wants one. When they apply for permission they can't do it even though a shared sewer runs under the other extension.

Then there's all the occasions where un-mapped sewers are classed as dead but aren't and vice-versa.
I’m going to speak to Severn Trent as there’s loads of extensions done round me recently. You must be able to build over them here, if not I’ll just stick a conservatory on there.

I’m going to speak to Severn Trent as there’s loads of extensions done round me recently. You must be able to build over them here, if not I’ll just stick a conservatory on there.

If they're all private drains where the extensions are and you want yours to go you'll be OK (apart from relocating the manhole).

You can find out by getting the map from severn trent (if they have that area done) or just get a drain survey done which ST will need anyway.

I’ll just stick a conservatory on there.

we have recently plastered a double story conservatory. it was on the large side , half round. lower area used an extension to the kitchen, then a swept staircase in stainless steel and glass taking you up to to lounge on the first floor. the first floor was a smaller bay so that you can walk out and view the whole conservatory.

we have recently plastered a double story conservatory. it was on the large side , half round. lower area used an extension to the kitchen, then a swept staircase in stainless steel and glass taking you up to to lounge on the first floor. the first floor was a smaller bay so that you can walk out and view the whole conservatory.

that sounds great :D

Janes parents just got a conservatory done but its 2 sides are plastic panels and then only the front bit is glass and the roof is made from fake tiles with a velux in it... I cant see how it did not need planning permission to be honest. The plastering in it was comical as well... all over christmas as soon as anybody knew came to their house I straight away pointed out I did not plaster it :D :D That annoyed the inlaws :D

Sorry I'm confused, is this John impersonating Imago?
Surly to God we can't have two sewer geeks on here?

Sorry I'm confused, is this John impersonating Imago?
Surly to God we can't have two sewer geeks on here?

A much maligned area of interest.

Where there's muck there's brass, but where there's sh1t there's gold. (y)

[QUOTE=".... Any building folk on here that can advise me on the BC side of things? Do they need to come out before during after or all 3? ...
@imago[/QUOTE]

Depends on the BC in your area, but generally the more you're up front with them, the easier it is. Get a sketch drawn and do it on a building notice. Ask for a BC officer to come out before you start to discuss the site. They'll guide you as to what you need to do, all the regs are available +guides so do a little homework so that you don't look clueless (no disrespect). They'll tell you what they want to look at and when. Footings, drainage and vents to any existing suspended floor are pretty key. After that, as long as you stay within permitted footprint and aren't doing anything too weird, you just need to indicate the right amount of insulation and they should be cool.

Most council BC are so understaffed now that they don't have time to be scrutinising things. I've had jobs where they've been on site for a total of 10 minutes from start to finish. You do get the odd arsey one but no more than you'd find in any other job. They only get funny if they think you're pulling a fast one.

Is the manhole and inspection chamber? Or is is a deep thing with steps? Is it your or shared? Again, BC will help you out but it might get expensive if you are on a shared system. It is possible to have a double sealed cover inside the finished extension but you have to maintain access to it at all times and not great if it backs up and you have to lift it... think brown mount vesuvius on to your oak flooring... :vomito: