External rendering questions

Members online

omoeko

Hi All.

Just planning an external render using sand cement, scratch coat and also final coat. In the current weather, what kind of material to use.

The specification is for a 20mm thickness

I have the 45mm stainless steel angle bead. Also plan to use angle beads for window corners.

If I was a super smooth finish like the house pictured (the plastering is so good that it actually does not need a paint), what kind of mix do I need to have, what kind of waterproofer. Is waterproofer same as a plasticier. I have seen this Silka product, looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with Silka, otherwise what is the best brand to use ?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80460?table=no

Thanks Guys.
I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Ext_1.jpeg
    Ext_1.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Ext_2.jpeg
    Ext_2.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 300
Hi All.

Just planning an external render using sand cement, scratch coat and also final coat. In the current weather, what kind of material to use.

I have the 45mm stainless steel angle bead. Also plan to use angle beads for window corners.

If I was a super smooth finish like the house pictured (the plastering is so good that it actually does not need a paint), what kind of mix do I need to have, what kind of waterproofer. Is waterproofer same as a plasticier. I have seen this Silka product, looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with Silka, otherwise what is the best brand to use ?

Thanks Guys.
I really appreciate it.

Tell me you're not planning to tackle this yourself......

I am trying to see what is involved before I decide.

Do you have any ideas on my questions ?

Yes. My idea is to get a plasterer in and leave him alone.. He'll supply any additives and all beading.

Interfering fcukers like you are universally hated.

'The job's all prepped', they say, and is it fcuk. The last person who prepped in from of me filled everything with jointing compound when he wanted it skimming. It wasn't even into bevelled edges - straight on to straight joints and left everything about 10mm proud. Loose boards everywhere, old fcuked up boards that he's tried to save. He'd fitted the whole bathroom and kitchen ahead of me and all the lights. Never had enough multi on the job, even though I told him exactly how much to get because he'd read about the coverage and decided that he knew more than me.

Hi All.

Thanks Guys.
I really appreciate it.

With all due respect to render properly is a massive massive skill set that takes years to learn properly.

Even plasterers that do mainly internal work for 30yrs come a cropper.

Trust me you will Massive f**k it up and in addition will cost more then to be sorted than had you not started.

If you can't afford to pay someone then I'd suggest you save up a couple of years, good render will add value to your home badly executed will reduce its price!

Last edited:
Listen to what the fellas are trying to tell you (in so many ways :whistle:)
Get a plasterer and get the job done right the first time. Will be money well spent in the long run and inevitably work out cheaper.
The whole hostility thing you may have sensed is because we've nearly all had a failed self plastering attempt to put right or done work for someone who thought they knew more than us :muyenojado:. Not really a nice work environment to be stuck with. Believe me :frio:

Whilst I appreciate the advice.the fact is, it's my house and I finish it however I want. The fact that I'm here asking questions doesn't mean anyone has to get all s*lly and act/type like a hard nosed d#ck on a faceless forum.

To
Whilst I appreciate the advice.the fact is, it's my house and I finish it however I want. The fact that I'm here asking questions doesn't mean anyone has to get all s*lly and act/type like a hard nosed d#ck on a faceless forum.

To be fair mate my response was far far from that I was genuinely looking out for you.

However your clearly somebody that cant/won't be told and know better than everyone else.

There was so many things wrong with your opening thread questions that you are up for a massive massive fall.

Fill yer boots mate we couldnt give a dam.

Good luck & bye

Unfortunately mate if you don't know what your doing in this game, wich by your questions you don't then the finish is the problem.
Not trying to be smart with you just realistic

Looking at the pics he has blanked out the number plate on the car,wants advice but don’t trust us :hueco:

Would love to see pictures when the job is done[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongly believe each to their. Love it when joiner brickies say they can plaster then f**k it up. I can tile but takes me 2 week to do a bath room lol. But would never attempt to hang a door as i know i.ll screw it up.... ...... one bit of advice is wait till weather picks up and save up n use something other then sand n cement as theirs loads better stuff available now

mate I'll help you out.

you want 6 parts lime to 1 part cement and 9 part sharp sand in the scratch coat with 5litres of accelerator per mix for the scratch coat.

top coat will be 2 part sand 1 part cement and a dash of washing liquid for top coat.

lay it on flat then rub it over with a towel rolled around a brick.

if you take your time it should come up something like this
20171112_140905.jpg
20171126_140404.jpg

mate I'll help you out.

you want 6 parts lime to 1 part cement and 9 part sharp sand in the scratch coat with 5litres of accelerator per mix for the scratch coat.

top coat will be 2 part sand 1 part cement and a dash of washing liquid for top coat.

if you take your time it should come up something like this View attachment 20446 View attachment 20447
Engineering brick and a flannel ok ?

mate I'll help you out.

if you take your time it should come up something like this View attachment 20446 View attachment 20447

[emoji23]pmsl what a knob it's 1 part sand 2 part cement for topcoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All.

Thanks Guys.
I really appreciate it.

You sir are of your f**k**g heed! Stop being a miserable f**k*r and spent the money on a pro. If ya cant afford a pro, at least hire someone who half knows what hes at because you will be a complete ballix of it on your own. Reminds me of a time this fella called me to skim a room for him. He scratched it was his words. Scracted my balls. He bought a DIY book, nailed batthens all over the wall, filled with sand and cement with no plasterciser and tried to straightent by pulling another batten up the wall. The daft c**t couldnt even do that right. A pure f**k**g mess it was. My kids would have done a better job if i let them throw the mix on the wall.

Hi All.

Thanks Guys.
I really appreciate it.

one word CHANCER

Torch your house, then get professionals to rebuild it with the insurance money, other than that I can't think

Great idea. Go for it yourself. Keep us updated and don’t forget to be nice to the lads. They will prob be at your house getting paid in the near future.

Just out of curiosity. Are you a plasterer