Factory work

Members online

Would you ditch plastering for a well paid full time factory job like engineering?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

stuart23

Private Member
Carrying on from the other thread who would swap places with the guy who wants to leave his engineering job to become a plasterer? It's a private poll so no one can see your vote.

Last edited:
Early 20s yes, early 40s no. Mortgage would nearly be cleared i’d be getting ready to wind down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve thought about this in the past, I would need a Salary of 65k a year which seriously limits my options

No, I like the flexibility of being my own boss, the good times, the worry when bugger all on, the tax bill, the non payers, awkward customers.
Being paye, you can't pick your colleagues, your boss, your customers.

No. Working for The Man 9-5 like that is s**t. Watching the clock like @Chrispy33uk says.

I like to work til the job is done. The idea of watching the clock tick in a factory would be torture.

On the very very rare occasions that I have to watch the clock, it's on my flick. I have invested a great deal of time, energy and money on setting the day up. I have at least four people to manage, sometimes as many as ten. The day is very very intense and the hands on the clock fly round too fast, not too slow.

Driving can drag a bit in UK on a long run, especially at night, but it's still better than clocking out at 5.

I was having this same conversation the other day...

Just today I got a nice letter from a solicitor saying I have a copyright infringement claim... actually a site I host has stolen some images... now I have to instruct my own solicitors bla bal bla... days like today I would work for someone else and not worry about that s**t.

However, myself and jane have a plan to be mortgage free in 10 years... once we are mortgage free we should both be able to give up work totally... We both have investments that pay out residually and although we would lead quite frugal lifestyles it would be better than working..

I am happy to settle for a little less to spend more time doing things I love :D

Just today I got a nice letter from a solicitor saying I have a copyright infringement claim... actually a site I host has stolen some images... now I have to instruct my own solicitors bla bal bla... days like today I would work for someone else and not worry about that s**t.

However, myself and jane have a plan to be mortgage free in 10 years... once we are mortgage free we should both be able to give up work totally... We both have investments that pay out residually and although we would lead quite frugal lifestyles it would be better than working..

I am happy to settle for a little less to spend more time doing things I love :D

Is it a site like this? As in a member has infringed someone's copyright?

Sounds like you should set up another section in the forum advising us where to invest our hard earned iv got at least another 20 years at work (I’m 32)

I wouldn’t want to swap as there’s no better feeling than smashing out a good 10.5 bags of plaster each day in my zone then turning round to admire what I’ve done

Or one bag if your names Gordon

I wouldn’t want to swap as there’s no better feeling than smashing out a good 10.5 bags of plaster each day in my zone then turning round to admire what I’ve done

Or one bag if your names Gordon

And still earn more than you

Absolutely not. Always been self employed. Couldn’t be ordered about, plus my brain would explode from inactivity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted to cut the grass on one of them ride on jobbies for the council. Me marra does it. Headphones in and just drive about cutting grass all day. No stress just titting about in your own mind.......bliss...... Does all the site jobs in the winter like

I wonder what the state pension will be like in 35 years time when I can realistically retire, will there even be a state pension???

Probably not, retirement will not even be a word anymore, wiped from all dictionaries and history books.

Probably not, retirement will not even be a word anymore, wiped from all dictionaries and history books.
I think I’m better off being at work anyway, I hated not working for three months this year. It’s good to get up with a purpose each morning. I think working is good for the soul I wouldn’t want to retire and just sit in my armchair waiting to die. It’s important to stay busy doing something that keeps you going.

Totally agree, can’t think of anything worse , fair enough it’s nice to have some time off but all the time no, just sitting there watching Jeremy Kyle

Ask @zombie and @theclemo theyll tell you the same

Last edited:
Tomorrow if I could earn what I get for 3 days now . It' the freedom i need more to be honest . Once applied for a job driving bout trans pennine trail on a quad repairing fences etc that would of suited me

Tomorrow if I could earn what I get for 3 days now . It' the freedom i need more to be honest . Once applied for a job driving bout trans pennine trail on a quad repairing fences etc that would of suited me

How come your part time pal?

I have actually done this many years ago and came back to plastering. On paper I have loads more C&G quals for engineering than plastering. Just last week I got a phone call off someone asking me if I would like to go and look after a small machine shop for them. After thanking him for the offer I told him I'd rather loose my right knacker than be in charge of a group of people again.