Filling your big (wet) holes

LarryTheDecorator

I've spent an hour or so filling holes in my infamous plasterwork using toupret, standing there thinking how much I'm financing the firm, I wondered what filler you professionals use?

That's what I've been doing, my ceiling was a mess, I was using out of date plaster (without realising) over artex, been sanding it and filling in the scrape holes where it's dried too quick for me to do anything with it

Pfft... yes mate that's right, paint.

@LarryTheLag just put it on a bit thicker than usual and use an orbital sander to take it back a bit. Save using filler.

That's what I've been doing, my ceiling was a mess, I was using out of date plaster (without realising) over artex, been sanding it and filling in the scrape holes where it's dried too quick for me to do anything with it

Do you get paid for all this, Larry?

Mention a fireplace few weeks back. Blokes asked me to go have a look. Anyway the fire is flush to the plastered wall . He needs it to be far enough of the wall to tile behind . Whats that 10 to 15 mm . The firm who fitted the fire have told him wait for it......... to sand the wall back . 2 n half grand tgey charged . I said get em out to move the thing forward

@LarryTheLag you prob making a simple mistake . I cant offer any advice unless i actual watch someone doing it. . You know anyone you can tag along with . ( dont nick their tools lol) alot simpler with some one tweaking ye

Unfortunately not, I completed a course but it's nothing like the real world - very streamlined, so grabbed a few practical books to learn from and watching videos on youtube, I'm getting better, done a few walls that are perfect, purely accidental!

@LarryTheLag you prob making a simple mistake . I cant offer any advice unless i actual watch someone doing it. . You know anyone you can tag along with . ( dont nick their tools lol) alot simpler with some one tweaking ye

Unfortunately not, I completed a course but it's nothing like the real world - very streamlined, so grabbed a few practical books to learn from and watching videos on youtube, I'm getting better, done a few walls that are perfect, purely accidental!
Where ye live

Middle of no where, leighton buzzard (no one wants to live there), I'm having to sell my house and move elsewhere as can't get employment, so learning trades (studying electrics & plumbing which is more successful than my plastering!)
good luck

PVA over it skim it again, sod filling it

To be honest I was thinking that, it's in the bathroom, my back is killing me from laying grass and decided to whip up filler and sand, it's 90% there, but no way near like the finishing you guys can do (which I'm aspiring to), I'm finding I'm too slow in flattening it but don't know how much faster to work unless I stick a trowel in both hands and become inspector gadget :risas:

PVA over it skim it again, sod filling it

Mention a fireplace few weeks back. Blokes asked me to go have a look. Anyway the fire is flush to the plastered wall . He needs it to be far enough of the wall to tile behind . Whats that 10 to 15 mm . The firm who fitted the fire have told him wait for it......... to sand the wall back . 2 n half grand tgey charged . I said get em out to move the thing forward
To be honest I was thinking that, it's in the bathroom, my back is killing me from laying grass and decided to whip up filler and sand, it's 90% there, but no way near like the finishing you guys can do (which I'm aspiring to), I'm finding I'm too slow in flattening it but don't know how much faster to work unless I stick a trowel in both hands and become inspector gadget :risas:
Grass! In a bathroom ...........I’ve heard it all now.....

Get a bucket or two of knauf fill and finish or roll on and whatnot is the DIY version and a cheap roller, roll it on the ceiling or use hawk and trowel, trowel it down or spat it, knock back lines when dried with the trowel then coat it again when dry sand it. Less is more, it's air drying so you can't apply it thick as it will fail or will never set

I'll have a look at that - thankyou

Get a bucket or two of knauf fill and finish or roll on and whatnot is the DIY version and a cheap roller, roll it on the ceiling or use hawk and trowel, trowel it down or spat it, knock back lines when dried with the trowel then coat it again when dry sand it. Less is more, it's air drying so you can't apply it thick as it will fail or will never set

Middle of no where, leighton buzzard (no one wants to live there), I'm having to sell my house and move elsewhere as can't get employment, so learning trades (studying electrics & plumbing which is more successful than my plastering!)

I am up that way on friday.... I can give ya a hand for a gew hours... gonna go see my aunty grave :-\ as she is buried at heath and Reach