First trowel MT or OX?

Members online

No members online now.
It wasn't that long i started skimming with it straight away and after a few days it was alright, replaced it with the carbon nela which I've got high hopes for.
Aye, that's good alright. Well my good skimming trowel has a bend at the toe so digs in at the top now so it's f**k*d, so had to promote my other trowel,though I've used it skimming for a while, although the now broke one was very sharp, left a lovely finish. Almost a flexi finish, but flatter lol. Want to try the nela so hopefully I will like it.

Not like u Danny, what u at this week. It gona be a regular thing u dusting down the toolbox again lol
Mates a bricky and he says ox. Are getting more popular in the bricky trowel too. I was in a builders suppliers and seen a pile ox trowels, looked smart enough, but none in local hardware shop as yet mustnt have confirmed order for two nelas on Sat as had to dick about with settin up a PayPal or something when I tried checking out on t for tools, so took a thick head and ordered it off p1ss instead of fannying about with that again. Similar price too so not too bad. Hopefully get em tomorrow.

Ah just helping a few mates out with projects and stuff... I may have an eco house to do and some dashing to do... try and keep my hand in and also gets me out of this damn office.

Also got to get my own place sorted for the new one :D

Still gutted about that, haven't been able to use my new trowel either being signed off sick.
Hope your bearing up mate? I'm having a s**t time after splitting with Mrs Marshy staying at a mates in meantime. I've lost everything but still trying to stay positive. Chin up pal and hope your fit and well asap

Don't think I'll buy another mt. wouldn't consider an ox. Next trowel I purchase will be the carbon nela I expect.

Been breaking in my 16" nela carbon.

They are nice mate, nice and comfortable with a nice balance aswell. Well worth trying.

Got a bit of a collection on the go, always loved my mt Xtra lites, been through a few now. Also well worth a mention was my 16" refina premium, I think its now called a finatex. Very comfortable trowel.

Hope your bearing up mate? I'm having a s**t time after splitting with Mrs Marshy staying at a mates in meantime. I've lost everything but still trying to stay positive. Chin up pal and hope your fit and well asap
I'm hanging in there, had some nasty anxiety and depression though apparently it's all part of the recovery and quite common in stroke survivors completely exhausted all the time aswell which the doctors call post stroke fatigue, basically I'm recovering from brain damage so it's fairly unpleasant but like you say it's important to try and stay positive and look to the future I look at my kids and it motivates me to get better, please look after yourself marshy and take it easy.

I'm hanging in there, had some nasty anxiety and depression though apparently it's all part of the recovery and quite common in stroke survivors

I had years of that... those that met me just after I was ill @irish_spread @Nisus @warriorupnorth and @Runswithscissors can probably vouch for the complete mess I was in. Anxiety was horrific and I struggled with everything, I would not leave the house on my own I didnt drive for 2 years as I was petrified I had a complete melt down all part of the recovery!!

It gets easier and if you want any help or advice on how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks then I am more than happy to help just drop me a pm :D

Glad you are on the mend

I had years of that... those that met me just after I was ill @irish_spread @Nisus @warriorupnorth and @Runswithscissors can probably vouch for the complete mess I was in. Anxiety was horrific and I struggled with everything, I would not leave the house on my own I didnt drive for 2 years as I was petrified I had a complete melt down all part of the recovery!!

It gets easier and if you want any help or advice on how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks then I am more than happy to help just drop me a pm :D

Glad you are on the mend
Thanks Danny, sorry to hear you were so unwell but also reassuring to know you made a decent recovery thank you

looking to get my first one.. I don't mind about price i just want people's opinions on the best.. I hear MT are the go to but I've heard OX is good stuff aswell... also the types, all this permashape or flexible or whatever it's all about. Just looking for opinions and abit more info on it all. Cheers.
I use a 16" permashape gold preworn stainless steel mt

Last edited:
I got nell carbon 13 in . Don' like the mt wood handles anymore . Think I.ll get a mt xtra light carbon for me back up trowel . Soft handle .

Something worth thinking about is Mt are now made in Japan , Xtralite have all ways been a good trowel but i cant comment on the new ones build quality and also OX but the nelas are well made and will take an age banging in on multi .

Something worth thinking about is Mt are now made in Japan , Xtralite have all ways been a good trowel but i cant comment on the new ones build quality and also OX but the nelas are well made and will take an age banging in on multi .
Nella.s are good once there broke in you just cant give up hope . They get there eventually

I gave all my permashape trowels away , they absolute garbage nowadays, after a lot of research the only trowels worth buying now imo are the carbon curry , nela carbon and in third place mt carbon

My best skimming trowel is the Refina premium, after messing about with other trowels I always go back to this one. Nela for rendering. But a good first trowel? Maybe the ready to go tyzack needs a mention.

I have a stainless steel xtralite and it's a very good trowel for skimming. The gold xtralite are good trowels too.

Hey I honestly don’t mind anyone disagreeing it’s my own personal opinion, I gave away 10 of them , the steel is definitely different to how it was even 10 years ago and I would never buy one again but I fully respect others views end of the day we should be able to get a decent finish with any trowel

:fuckyou:

Hey I honestly don’t mind anyone disagreeing it’s my own personal opinion, I gave away 10 of them , the steel is definitely different to how it was even 10 years ago and I would never buy one again but I fully respect others views end of the day we should be able to get a decent finish with any trowel

:fuckyou:
I dont know that I would buy a permashape again to be fair. I had one but broke it about 5 or 6years ago. I did like it, but since had been using gold xtralite and now normal xtralite, and its as good as any I've had

Oooh they do a gold xtra light . Is this carbon
The ones I had were stainless. Gold blade, black handle. I had a 14 x 4.75 one and a 13x5 one. Tje 14 one was the best skimming trowel I have owned, its the one the toe got bent, some one must have sets something on top of it. It was well wore in, lovely shape, lovely and sharp.

looking to get my first one.. I don't mind about price i just want people's opinions on the best.. I hear MT are the go to but I've heard OX is good stuff aswell... also the types, all this permashape or flexible or whatever it's all about. Just looking for opinions and abit more info on it all. Cheers.

You could save yourself a few bob and help someone less fortunate by entering the charity raffle
https://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/heres-what-you-can-win-so-far.70184/

...yes I'll be doing a lot of this over the next week

I've had tyzaks Marshall towns refina,over the years. for me its permaflex gold marshalltowns all day long
but my advice is what ever you buy look down the blade with a dark background behind and make sure it has a smooth curve . I had half a dozen marshalltown trowels out in one well now DIY store and none of them were any good,the ones stocked in my local builders merchants were better,whatever the make if it's got a kink or a flat spot it will make skimming hard

A62A75FE-0386-4E0E-8423-E197541F3D0E.jpeg
Decided I didn’t need another trowel so using the 12”mt Carbon today