Floor weight limits

Members online

satan

9" x 2" or 225mm x 44mm joists at 400mm centers over a 12' span. Does anybody know the weight limits or where I can find out this info? Just need to know approx how much weight this floor is allowed to take.

The room is 10' long and 12' wide with the joist running the 12' direction.

Last edited:
9" x 2" or 225mm x 44mm joists at 400mm centers over a 12' span. Does anybody know the weight limits or where I can find out this info? Just need to know approx how much weight this floor is allowed to take.
Don't know but other things should be taken into consideration, floor boards , noggins

So what's your guesstimate of load per joist
I havent a clue but I want to build something on the floor which may way about 1000 to 1200kg............and it will be built 4"/100 mm off one wall and be the full length (10') and 7' wide of the 12' span.

I havent a clue but I want to build something on the floor which may way about 1000 to 1200kg............and it will be built 4"/100 mm off one wall and be the full length (10') and 7' wide of the 12' span.
Thought it was a fish tank but obviously not , what is it,

Thought it was a fish tank but obviously not , what is it,
Cant tell you its secret;) No it would just get too complicated but lets just say its a control room/office/cubicle that is on floor and not fixed or supported by walls or ceiling so floor is taking full weight.

Be some fish tank.

The room is 10' long and 12' wide with the joist running the 12' direction.

What you asking plasterers this for? You should have a better idea than us if you're a joiner. Better to ask an engineer. You can't have approx allowed anyway - it's either allowed or it's not.

The joists will hold the weight right enough but you don't say what's holding the joists - either ask an engineer or just build and be damned. It'll stay up - probably.,

Cant tell you its secret;) No it would just get too complicated but lets just say its a control room/office/cubicle that is on floor and not fixed or supported by walls or ceiling so floor is taking full weight.

Be some fish tank.
Cannabis doesn't weigh that much unless your storing hash

What you asking plasterers this for? You should have a better idea than us if you're a joiner. Better to ask an engineer. You can't have approx allowed anyway - it's either allowed or it's not.

The joists will hold the weight right enough but you don't say what's holding the joists - either ask an engineer or just build and be damned. It'll stay up - probably.,
But Steve...........I thought you just knew everything? ;)

But Steve...........I thought you just knew everything? ;)

That's you you're thinking of.

Just because I know alot about most things, it doesn't mean that I know how much weight something will hold if I don't know what it's made of.

Can't it be constructed with an RSJ across at 7' above or below

7 joists take 1200kg , let's say 175 kg add-on 2 people standing by chance on one of the joists , don't think you would want to do that

Yeah just read through thread again and worked that one out.
I reckon most calculations for stress and load bearing will be calculated for centre of span. But as your building tight to wall it's more of a shear strength that needs to be looked at. I think like havagojo said you need to know how and what joist are bearing down on. And make a judgement call on that basis.

Well I estimate 2 people in the total of 1200kg. I know the weight of materials so thats how I came to that total. But I would have thought there was some website/tables you could just enter room size and get maximum load. Too simple.

Well I estimate 2 people in the total of 1200kg. I know the weight of materials so thats how I came to that total. But I would have thought there was some website/tables you could just enter room size and get maximum load. Too simple.
Load plus 2 people for one joist the people aren't laid flat across the floor

You have a static load per joist for your construction , but in addition you may have 2 people standing on one joist
I understand but isnt the load spread out because of flooring? For example.....................weight of cubicle =800kg over 10 joists = 80kg per joist plus 350 kg if 2 people stood on same joist so total possible weight per joist = 430kg. So would that be over or under the max limit per joist with a 12' span?

LiveLeak-dot-com-giphy_1544712888.gif