Full scaffold

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexandy

The Lake Governor
Did a ceiling this week with a full birds nest scaffold, it's the first time I've had a full scaffold for years and I'd forgotten just how nice it is. The room was 11.4m long and it was really nice being able to walk right through when trowelling up. How many of you bother to put up full scaffolds for these bigger ceilings?

Always if its too high for stilts, or the floor is too dangerous for stilts. Fully boarded is a joy :rolleyes)

How much would it cost andy mind me asking was it an 80m? If you and you're lad did it I reckon you'd need at least 3 spreads and a couple of labourers on towers so on towers it'd cost another 400 quid anyway ish

yeah, but how long does it take to get one of those bloody scaffolds set up? i cant be arsed to do them myself

How much would it cost andy mind me asking was it an 80m? If you and you're lad did it I reckon you'd need at least 3 spreads and a couple of labourers on towers so on towers it'd cost another 400 quid anyway ish

Yes it was 80m2 vaulted mate, no idea of cost as yet but will find out soon.

yeah, but how long does it take to get one of those bloody scaffolds set up? i cant be arsed to do them myself

No Nick this wasn't a diy bit of scaffold but a proper birds nest, scaffold tubes and boards set at about 6 1/2ft. Took a couple of pro. scaffolders about two hours to put up.

You've just reminded me about the chicken in the budgies cage :RpS_laugh:

You gotta have a good scaffold for vaulted ceilings or you're there forever :RpS_thumbup:

I had a bird cage scaffold put up for a massive vaullted ceiling I did in a barn conversion 3 years ago. It cost £1200 but the customer was paying so that was fine. Really was lovely to work off and it didn't bother me that my head was 30 foot up off a concrete floor. Normally I s**t myself when I have to get 6 feet off the floor. Just done another vaulted ceiling this week but much smaller and what a pain in the arse it was working off a folding ladder platform thing I have instead of a scaffold. Balancing/reaching on that while being really careful not to get any plaster on the exposed oak really fooked me off. Must charge more................

Do you mean the ceiling I did FreeD? If so it was done in three hits as the client didn't want the ceiling and rakes (to keep Gibbo happy) rounded in.

Ok see what mean, I've got to do a 40m2 ceiling next week on my own, don't want a join can I do that in one hit, say divide it in 2 and mix up 2 lots of plaster at different times?

Free. if the ceiling is scaffed out, or your on stiits , you should manage that on your own, if not get another trowel with you, i think joining 2 hits on a ceiling is best avoided.

I can do it off a hop up m8 its basement, really want to learn this rolling method, how would I do it on this ceiling?

You could not with out a joint, rolling sets means starting the next one while last troweling the first one.( usually walls cielings).If you have to do this on your own, then perhaps a thin coat stop bead half way across the ceiling, then 2nd set into this, but be over watchfull as how you join into the two sets. its got to be 100% .Then once dry a caulk of ammes or easy fill . At the end of the day, the costomer must not see your joint... it must be invisible. hope this helps.

Ok see what mean, I've got to do a 40m2 ceiling next week on my own, don't want a join can I do that in one hit, say divide it in 2 and mix up 2 lots of plaster at different times?

Yes mate you can do almost any size on your own within reason by using a rolling set. My advise is never mix up big batches of finish, I only mix one 10ltrs. of water worth at a time. Then put on say two buckets before dropping back and laying the first one in, put another on and then the second one in, and so on. When I did the flat section of that ceiling the other day the first buckets worth had had two trowels before the last area was even on. Still ended up as a seamless ceiling.

Yes mate you can do almost any size on your own within reason by using a rolling set. My advise is never mix up big batches of finish, I only mix one 10ltrs. of water worth at a time. Then put on say two buckets before dropping back and laying the first one in, put another on and then the second one in, and so on. When I did the flat section of that ceiling the other day the first buckets worth had had two trowels before the last area was even on. Still ended up as a seamless ceiling.

You have many years experience Andy,like myself and we can acheive what we set out to do, I think this guy is pretty green . So hopefully he has grasped some concept of what we are trying to convey.

u gotta spray it on with the ritmo, flatten it with the sperflex spat, sponge it with your spongefloat and trowel it with your plastic. its easy when u have the gift

i feel like henry is yoda, maybe andy is ob1/darth, and i am luke. i am still learning but have the potential to maybe one day learn the gift. but i still have to bow to their ancient wisdom. i cant compete with them because their gift is too strong

Status
Not open for further replies.