Gap or no gap between boards

Members online

bilge

Boarding my ceiling ready for a plasterer to skim, I have read pages and pages about leaving gaps inbetween boards but still not sure if I should or not.
Also what about the join in-between the ceiling and wall, do I surform down the top of the wall to allow mesh to be placed on the ceiling and down the wall and skimmed in ?
Or fit the boards 2mm from the wall and fill with a caulk -flexible.

Boarding my ceiling ready for a plasterer to skim, I have read pages and pages about leaving gaps inbetween boards but still not sure if I should or not.
Also what about the join in-between the ceiling and wall, do I surform down the top of the wall to allow mesh to be placed on the ceiling and down the wall and skimmed in ?
At this time of night!!! Go to bed

Yes just use 2mm tile spacers on every corner and joint

you had your question last week,two is not allowed.

By the time you'd paid yourself to post all this shite chef, you could have paid a plasterer to put half a dozen boards up ten times over.

Just saying like

F67B16A2-3F2D-4A41-985B-07BFEE6CDA72.gif
F67B16A2-3F2D-4A41-985B-07BFEE6CDA72.gif

When I board my domestic jobs I always pva plasterboard dry edges and fit timber knoggins, so all edge's of boards are fixed with screws. As for standard boarding I still seal the joins with mini roller as I go, and try leave a small gap. Sealing the edges makes it easy to push plaster in joint and helps it stick.
With lofts and the amount of air circulation I think not having material in gaps can make the air push the joint tape off. Jmo. Never proven but that looks to be the case. I've seen dust and air blowing through cracked ceilings.
I don't think a gap in board is important with timber behind.
I've also stuck strips of plasterboard to joints from above. This works well to stop cracks coming back especially in bungalows. You miss a joint and it will crack again in 48h sometimes.

Forgot to say I am over boarding and its a bedroom. I have added knoggins to the whole perimeter and in-between joists at the joins apart from 3 at a wall end where the centers were 370mm and 300mm.
While I was marking all the joist positions I have also marked all of the original joint positions so that my joins do not accidentally line up.

Thank you @Wayners using a mini roller is a good tip. Perhaps I could do all 10 boards in one go whilst they are stacked and then just need to redo the new cut edge.
I have some BAL Bond SBR primer left over from some tiling I did - would that be ok to use instead of PVA.
Anything will do. So yes seal with what you have. Tip. Everyone here will know this but fill joints with a shaky S movement as you fill along. Go left and right. If you don't the muck falls out sometimes

When I board my domestic jobs I always pva plasterboard dry edges and fit timber knoggins, so all edge's of boards are fixed with screws. As for standard boarding I still seal the joins with mini roller as I go, and try leave a small gap. Sealing the edges makes it easy to push plaster in joint and helps it stick.
With lofts and the amount of air circulation I think not having material in gaps can make the air push the joint tape off. Jmo. Never proven but that looks to be the case. I've seen dust and air blowing through cracked ceilings.
I don't think a gap in board is important with timber behind.
I've also stuck strips of plasterboard to joints from above. This works well to stop cracks coming back especially in bungalows. You miss a joint and it will crack again in 48h sometimes.

Think you’ve watched too much Blue Peter in the 80s

Forgot to say I am over boarding and its a bedroom. I have added knoggins to the whole perimeter and in-between joists at the joins apart from 3 at a wall end where the centers were 370mm and 300mm.
While I was marking all the joist positions I have also marked all of the original joint positions so that my joins do not accidentally line up.
If this is what retirement brings @essexandy i’ll keep plodding on.
You should of just baton and boarded it.:reloco:

Why didn’t the plasterer in question want to do the boarding??

Really?? Bit strange but all the best then.
How so - others have done the same thing. I did the same with a bathroom ceiling but never really gave much thought to gaps or other issues but that was only a small ceiling with nothing above but this one is a lot bigger and I am storing a motorbike above it :cool: