Getting back into plastering..

Members online

Aaronf

Afternoon Lads,

I'll try and make this as brief as possible. Basically left school, went on site and learned on the job with my old man. Mainly board and skim, but there were some rendering days in the summer months also.

2008 recession, arse fell out of site work and ended up working for a scaffolding firm. Hated it, joined the Royal Marines and served 7ish years.

Left in 2014 and went back on site for a bit, and realised i had major skill fade, so jumped on some domestics to get my speed back up. Without giving it my whole life story i lost the plot a bit as i really struggled to readjust in civvy street. Bounced about here and there until about 3 years ago, found myself working in sales (still am) and i hate it!

Really want to get back on site and do what i enjoy doing. I dont get any satisfaction sitting in an office, or on the M6 for sales meetings, or sales appointments with time wasters.

I'm thinking of cracking a course, which is 10 weeks long. May sound like i might be getting taught to suck eggs a little, but i feel like i need resetting so i can just get back in there and hit the ground running.

In essence I'm thinking of doing what i should of done when i left the forces. Resettlement courses to get me back up to speed. Knowledge refreshed, cards in hand to get on site and get cracking again. Miss working with proper lads, having the banter and f*****g off to the pub on a Friday.

I'm bored senseless with sales targets, and impossible budgets to hit commison where the goal posts constantly shift. Yes i know you get the same on site to an extent, but I've seen it from both sides now, and i know which side I want to be on!

Has anyone experienced similar?

What course did you do?

How did you get on with a gang after? I live in cheshire now due to relocation, and don't know anyone here in the industry.

Cheers lads

Aaron

Cheers pal. I'm pretty much thinking of going back to the start, and beginning fresh.

If anyone has any experience with elc courses, that would be good.

I dont understand the thread.

You know if you can plaster or not the rest is up to you.

Hows a micky mouse plasrering course going to give you anything you dont already have if your dad taught you?

Cheers for the reply mate.

You're right in what you're saying. Just feel like i need a refresher. There's aspects i haven't covered in a few years. Plus i want my NVQ to get back on site.

Afternoon Lads,

I'll try and make this as brief as possible. Basically left school, went on site and learned on the job with my old man. Mainly board and skim, but there were some rendering days in the summer months also.

2008 recession, arse fell out of site work and ended up working for a scaffolding firm. Hated it, joined the Royal Marines and served 7ish years.

Left in 2014 and went back on site for a bit, and realised i had major skill fade, so jumped on some domestics to get my speed back up. Without giving it my whole life story i lost the plot a bit as i really struggled to readjust in civvy street. Bounced about here and there until about 3 years ago, found myself working in sales (still am) and i hate it!

Really want to get back on site and do what i enjoy doing. I dont get any satisfaction sitting in an office, or on the M6 for sales meetings, or sales appointments with time wasters.

I'm thinking of cracking a course, which is 10 weeks long. May sound like i might be getting taught to suck eggs a little, but i feel like i need resetting so i can just get back in there and hit the ground running.

In essence I'm thinking of doing what i should of done when i left the forces. Resettlement courses to get me back up to speed. Knowledge refreshed, cards in hand to get on site and get cracking again. Miss working with proper lads, having the banter and f*****g off to the pub on a Friday.

I'm bored senseless with sales targets, and impossible budgets to hit commison where the goal posts constantly shift. Yes i know you get the same on site to an extent, but I've seen it from both sides now, and i know which side I want to be on!

What course did you do?

How did you get on with a gang after? I live in cheshire now due to relocation, and don't know anyone here in the industry.

Cheers lads

Aaron
Hi Aaron . Hoofin . Have a wet ,Pull up a sand bag and get on the coms to as many plasterers you can find in your local area , Explain your situation and tell them your background , Offer to go do some labouring and as much as you can on the tools . Money may be an issue as in how much they will be willing to pay you against what you need to earn . I am sure it would not take you long to get back into the swing of things . Just don't turn up in a dress on your first day .Hope this helps .

Afternoon Lads,

What course did you do?

Cheers lads

Aaron
You'd be better off paying @algeeman a few quid to tag along for a bit. If that c**t can't get you speeded up no one can.
Oh and you won't have to wait until Friday for a beer, more like Monday morning before site.

Hi Aaron . Hoofin . Have a wet ,Pull up a sand bag and get on the coms to as many plasterers you can find in your local area , Explain your situation and tell them your background , Offer to go do some labouring and as much as you can on the tools . Money may be an issue as in how much they will be willing to pay you against what you need to earn . I am sure it would not take you long to get back into the swing of things . Just don't turn up in a dress on your first day .Hope this helps .
thanks for the reply. That's a good shout, I'm getting xmas out of the way and leaving my job. I could probably use what I'd pay for a course to subsidise what i would lose wage wise.

I just want to be up to speed. Dont want to rock up and look like a chancer! I've been out of it for a few years now. And haven't touched anything like render, screed etc since 2008!

Bit disappointed about the dress though. Might have to think of a compromise here

You need to earn , quickest way is site skimming , if you get your cscs sorted £180 get in with solo or small gang or you may not get practice and be just their gofer

I went to gold trowel and they did re settlement courses that were 6 weeks long...they're in Essex so don't know about distance from you but they were good

I went to gold trowel and they did re settlement courses that were 6 weeks long...they're in Essex so don't know about distance from you but they were good
What level of qualification was it mate? Im near Manchester, so would have to weigh it up i suppose.

@Aaronf you have to do 2 different tests :
This one is valid if your not tested on a site working for someone
And a HSE at a local test centre £21 , mock exams online , don't pay more , some websites get a commission and they are just booking it for you , then with these two its about £37 payment for your card . good luck ,

@Aaronf you have to do 2 different tests :
This one is valid if your not tested on a site working for someone
And a HSE at a local test centre £21 , mock exams online , don't pay more , some websites get a commission and they are just booking it for you , then with these two its about £37 payment for your card . good luck ,
Thank you for your help mate! Much appreciated. I did see a fair few on line, and they looked a bit expensive in comparison.

Top bloke, cheers!

Thank you for your help mate! Much appreciated. I did see a fair few on line, and they looked a bit expensive in comparison.

Top bloke, cheers!
Wrong time of year to look into rendering , the advice and tests are the easy bit , its the graft where most give up

Top bloke, cheers!

I’d say contact bg see if you can get on there site ready plasterers course , it’s at there technical academy and would see you right

Kind of the same boat as me pal.
Been in the building trade since I was 16, joined the army when I was 21, unfortunately picked up an injury during a training exercise. Started back in the building when I was 23 but more of a jack of all trades.
I'm 30 in December and have had enough, going to start from the bottom on site with a plaster. And just take it from there.
Have to get a green card (labourers card) to get on site. So need to do a CITB health and safety operative test 31£
And then if no NVQs or equivalent to get on site a one day health and safety site plus test 150£
Book it all through the CITB website so your not paying some middle man c**t to book it for you.
Hope this helps.