Getting back into plastering..

@Aaronf you have to do 2 different tests :
This one is valid if your not tested on a site working for someone
And a HSE at a local test centre £21 , mock exams online , don't pay more , some websites get a commission and they are just booking it for you , then with these two its about £37 payment for your card . good luck ,

@LocoRay , see above post #16

62395400_151563059341740_8388616582529827397_n.jpg

Kind of the same boat as me pal.
Been in the building trade since I was 16, joined the army when I was 21, unfortunately picked up an injury during a training exercise. Started back in the building when I was 23 but more of a jack of all trades.
I'm 30 in December and have had enough, going to start from the bottom on site with a plaster. And just take it from there.
Have to get a green card (labourers card) to get on site. So need to do a CITB health and safety operative test 31£
And then if no NVQs or equivalent to get on site a one day health and safety site plus test 150£
Book it all through the CITB website so your not paying some middle man c**t to book it for you.
Hope this helps.
Pain in the back end isn't it mate. How are you getting on so far? Nice one for the heads up, helps a lot mate.

Afternoon Lads,

I'll try and make this as brief as possible. Basically left school, went on site and learned on the job with my old man. Mainly board and skim, but there were some rendering days in the summer months also.

2008 recession, arse fell out of site work and ended up working for a scaffolding firm. Hated it, joined the Royal Marines and served 7ish years.

Left in 2014 and went back on site for a bit, and realised i had major skill fade, so jumped on some domestics to get my speed back up. Without giving it my whole life story i lost the plot a bit as i really struggled to readjust in civvy street. Bounced about here and there until about 3 years ago, found myself working in sales (still am) and i hate it!

Really want to get back on site and do what i enjoy doing. I dont get any satisfaction sitting in an office, or on the M6 for sales meetings, or sales appointments with time wasters.

I'm thinking of cracking a course, which is 10 weeks long. May sound like i might be getting taught to suck eggs a little, but i feel like i need resetting so i can just get back in there and hit the ground running.

In essence I'm thinking of doing what i should of done when i left the forces. Resettlement courses to get me back up to speed. Knowledge refreshed, cards in hand to get on site and get cracking again. Miss working with proper lads, having the banter and f*****g off to the pub on a Friday.

I'm bored senseless with sales targets, and impossible budgets to hit commison where the goal posts constantly shift. Yes i know you get the same on site to an extent, but I've seen it from both sides now, and i know which side I want to be on!

Has anyone experienced similar?

What course did you do?

How did you get on with a gang after? I live in cheshire now due to relocation, and don't know anyone here in the industry.

Cheers lads

Aaron
Hello Aaron,Welcome aboard. Are you a good salesperson?

Hello Aaron,Welcome aboard. Are you a good salesperson?
Why do you ask?

I'm not the best in the world by no means, but it's kept me in a job for the last three years. So i must be doing something right. I just dont enjoy it, or get any satisfaction from it what so ever. Dread every day.

Why do you ask?

I'm not the best in the world by no means, but it's kept me in a job for the last three years. So i must be doing something right. I just dont enjoy it, or get any satisfaction from it what so ever. Dread every day.
He's pulling your leg mate , been trying to sell tape for months lol

I don't have any to sell, just pitching the idea.
Their is the small problem that the end users don't like it , whilst others find it annoying I've found your persistence amusing lol

Their is the small problem that the end users don't like it , whilst others find it annoying I've found your persistence amusing lol
The end users love it, A couple of teething problems now sorted ,roll on the launch.

The end users love it, A couple of teething problems now sorted ,roll on the launch.
I've always wished you the best of luck but don't think you'll make it , tape surface hasn't got physical grab for skim

I've always wished you the best of luck but don't think you'll make it , tape surface hasn't got physical grab for skim
not only does it, but it is already in use on a Swiss product for airtightness tape.
Proven tech.

not only does it, but it is already in use on a Swiss product for airtightness tape.
Proven tech.
Disagree , basically its a compromise , proven only by people who think " that'll do " .
Tape that has a non grab surface relies on the holes to get a fix , scrim has this fault , the holes should be larger , your tape introduces even more area than a standard bead of non grab of the finish , mesh beads are the best

Im sure it's amazing mate. Sales makes my blood boil though. That's why i want out of it.
A good product doesn't need a sales rep

Also said it before

Stick beads on boards with impact adhesive

slow, messy and gets you high. could be a winner.
Will be doing it on site

Full bead grab !

To counter board alignment at junction of beads

Right angled pin , crimped in place ,
look forward to seeing you on dragons den,

Will be doing it on site

Full bead grab !

To counter board alignment at junction of beads

Right angled pin , crimped in place ,
look forward to seeing you on dragons den,
should just bed them in your first coat.

Pain in the back end isn't it mate. How are you getting on so far? Nice one for the heads up, helps a lot mate.
Ok, just been doing the odd day, and evenings/weekend with a plasterer while working round my old jobs, just tying a few loose ends up before I jump all in. I'm enjoying it tho so that's the main thing.