Gypsum Hardwall

Members online

RolyGSpncr

Hi all new to this platform

I've been plastering for a while but used Gypsum Hardwall for the first time to flattened an extremely damaged wall has customer didn't want to dot and dab as didn't want to lose space in the room.

Hardwall went ok and scratched coat to finish and left to dry. Went to plaster with MF and used 2 coats of PVA first and even then used a small spray layer of water before skimming and never known something to go off so quick. Ended up fighting it and went over it with 3 coats of MF. The finish is not to the standard of plasterboard finish. Am I being unrealistic???

Thanks

I've been plastering for a while but used Gypsum Hardwall for the first time to flattened an extremely damaged wall has customer didn't want to dot and dab as didn't want to lose space in the room.

Hardwall went ok and scratched coat to finish and left to dry. Went to plaster with MF and used 2 coats of PVA first and even then used a small spray layer of water before skimming and never known something to go off so quick. Ended up fighting it and went over it with 3 coats of MF. The finish is not to the standard of plasterboard finish. Am I being unrealistic???

Thanks
Should of skimmed it same day . We float till 11 . Devil float it have half an hour brew and skim it

Thanks

This is going to read bad so I apologise in advance!

Not sure if your plasterer or not but you should aim to skim backing coats same day as turning once scratched up.

Though just to say if you are then how the hell have you managed up to now?

I've been plastering for a while but used Gypsum Hardwall for the first time to flattened an extremely damaged wall has customer didn't want to dot and dab as didn't want to lose space in the room. Basically what you’re saying Is your a skimmer?

Thanks

This is going to read bad so I apologise in advance!

Not sure if your plasterer or not but you should aim to skim backing coats same day as turning once scratched up.

Though just to say if you are then how the hell have you managed up to now?
Good job hes not got 50 mtrs of floating on . That would be fun left for a few days

Thanks
Try pure undiluted thistle gyprime it’s your only option if not skimming hardwall the same day

Try pure undiluted thistle gyprime it’s your only option if not skimming hardwall the same day
I've skimmed loads of Hardwall the following day without any kind of sealer. Put on neat, lay in neat, two passes of a trowel and finished. Always find I get through loads of skimming with suction.
But then I'm old school and not just brought up on plasterboard.

I've skimmed loads of Hardwall the following day without any kind of sealer. Put on neat, lay in neat, two passes of a trowel and finished. Always find I get through loads of skimming with suction.
Depends on how dry it is . If the background is cement block , you’re ok .

Thanks
Your PVA skills a weak ...........just saying

1576685622966.png

Don't use hardwall that often, but best skimmed same day, or a spray of water following day and get a move on. When its dried out, I put a pissy coat of pva on, followed by a thicker one and usually good to go.

Adjust accordingly if the central heatings cranked up to 11!

Don't use hardwall that often, but best skimmed same day, or a spray of water following day and get a move on. When its dried out, I put a pissy coat of pva on, followed by a thicker one and usually good to go.

Adjust accordingly if the central heatings cranked up to 11!
Why does it go up to 11......why not to just 10?:guitarra:

My husband is new to plastering. Now, we are making a small repair with our own hands. And it's great that I found this forum. So, it will be useful for us. Thanks, guys.

If your old school then you’d know to skim hardwall same day. Float till dinner . Have snap . Rub up and skim . I’ve been plastering for 22 years so not exactly old school but was did my apprenticeship with a float and set gang . Always skim same day

If your old school then you’d know to skim hardwall same day. Float till dinner . Have snap . Rub up and skim . I’ve been plastering for 22 years so not exactly old school but was did my apprenticeship with a float and set gang . Always skim same day
In the gang I used to work for we floated all day Then sprayed it down the next day (in the big gaffs) smaller builds we float and set the same day.

When I was an apprentice the plasterer would float and set the same day then soak it all down the next day and skim it all out with board finish I don't know how he did it he let me have ago on a small alcove wall one day soon as the skim left my trowel it was gone off lol so I've always skimmed float and set the same day never after I'm not a freak of nature that can do it the next day

When I was an apprentice the plasterer would float and set the same day then soak it all down the next day and skim it all out with board finish I don't know how he did it he let me have ago on a small alcove wall one day soon as the skim left my trowel it was gone off lol so I've always skimmed float and set the same day never after I'm not a freak of nature that can do it the next day
My old man and his brothers would always float out a whole house and then skim it the next day. This was with Browning, before Hardwall came along.