Hairline cracks on new rendering

Felix1255

Hi,
I'm looking for advice of course. Just had a house rendered over brickwork. Adhesive was applied before the render, which is sand and cement. Looked great until a stabiliser was applied which showed up loads of hairline cracks (on every wall regardless of which way facing). I need to know what is the likely cause before I decide whether to carry on with the painting or stop and address the problem. When the first coat of exterior paint is applied then the cracks disappear, but will this fail in time? Help!

Attachments

• _1239.JPG
    _1239.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,746
There's a lot of this on here lately when you say adhesive was applied do you know the exact method of what they claimed to have done, was there a scratch coat applied! From your picture they look a little more series that just airlines, looks more like it's blown! Did they PVA and one coat it or something:tonto:s**t work looks dog rough also.

The adhesive used was a dark grey applied directly on to the brickwork, but I don't know the make. Don't know if there was a scratch coat but I've worked with these builders for years and always been very good.

The adhesive used was a dark grey applied directly on to the brickwork, but I don't know the make. Don't know if there was a scratch coat but I've worked with these builders for years and always been very good.
Then why not question them ?

If you worked with them for years you should have the sort of relationship that you could talk to them! Get them back explain your concerns. Were pissing in the wind only your plasterer knows how it was applied, conditions ect. Looks like a one coat wonder to me though!

Hi,
I'm looking for advice of course. Just had a house rendered over brickwork. Adhesive was applied before the render, which is sand and cement. Looked great until a stabiliser was applied which showed up loads of hairline cracks (on every wall regardless of which way facing). I need to know what is the likely cause before I decide whether to carry on with the painting or stop and address the problem. When the first coat of exterior paint is applied then the cracks disappear, but will this fail in time? Help!
@lurpak (skimmer)

Hi,
I would say that's nackered and needs to be hacked off and redone properly. No point wasting paint on it

Thanks for your replies guys, well except for Lurpak - not the most useful advice. I have had them round and they say they have never seen it happen before, in 30 years of doing the job. They are looking at the sand that was used as they think it may have a high content of clay.... I will wait and see what they suggest.

Thanks for your replies guys, well except for Lurpak - not the most useful advice. I have had them round and they say they have never seen it happen before, in 30 years of doing the job. They are looking at the sand that was used as they think it may have a high content of clay.... I will wait and see what they suggest.
Only plausible excuse , out of interest who's the supplier and by the way...don't get involved in a deep a deep and meaningful lovers tiff by posting reasonable questions on this forum

That’s failed in my opinion! Hi Lome content is a issue but looks like several issues here

Hi,
Looks like it's had the life sucked out of it what sand was used? Not straight up builders sand was it.