Hallway ceiling - how to finish the edge?

Bill75

Hi, new poster here. So, I'm a DIYer, but have done a pretty good job of plastering my victorian house so far. After removing the old textured wallpaper from my hallway ceiling, the old lath and plaster is in bad shape (loose and unstable), so I've decided to remove it all and plasterboard it.

By the time I've done this, the plasterboard will be slightly recessed in relation to the old skirting that runs around the stairwell opening and down the upper flight of stairs. My question is, can I plaster right up to the bottom of the skirting (not sure if that's what it's called, but hope you know what I mean), or will it crack eventually? I guess there will be some movement there with people walking on the landing and up and down the stairs, plus the expansion/contraction of the wood.

I thought about using stop bead, then caulking between the edge of the bead and the skirting, but getting bead around the tight curve could be difficult.

Determined to have a go at this!

Any help will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Attachments

• 20200215_194115.jpg
    20200215_194115.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 497
  • 20200215_194138.jpg
    20200215_194138.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 464
Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'll go with that. From what I can see from digging a small patch out, it should fit within the skirt.

Hi, new poster here. So, I'm a DIYer, but have done a pretty good job of plastering my victorian house so far. After removing the old textured wallpaper from my hallway ceiling, the old lath and plaster is in bad shape (loose and unstable), so I've decided to remove it all and plasterboard it.

By the time I've done this, the plasterboard will be slightly recessed in relation to the old skirting that runs around the stairwell opening and down the upper flight of stairs. My question is, can I plaster right up to the bottom of the skirting (not sure if that's what it's called, but hope you know what I mean), or will it crack eventually? I guess there will be some movement there with people walking on the landing and up and down the stairs, plus the expansion/contraction of the wood.

I thought about using stop bead, then caulking between the edge of the bead and the skirting, but getting bead around the tight curve could be difficult.

Bill
"Stair F:fuckyou:acia"

Bill

How to finish? Not being funny everybody trying to save a bit of money but for a perfect finish get a plastrer in. I'm the same trying save in the end it not worth the time effort.

Yeah I couldn't understand wtf I was looking at at first call out skirting.

If it's recessed then can't you just plaster up to the board and caulk it?
Yeah, there's a decent recess now the old laths and plaster have gone, so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.