Hanging Hessian over render

Members online

Olican

Private Member
A long time ago someone once told me that renderers would hang massive Hessian blankets over their render, this would reduce curing time making the render stronger. Proof of this was old churches where the render is still solid now after many many years. Don't know how much truth is in this. What say you @Rigsby ?
Anyhoo haven't given this any thoughts for years until I saw this done locally...

IMG_20190806_144826.jpg

Had a peek behind the cloth and the render looks faultless.

Think it might have been me.

That photo above isn’t mine but I covered my jobs up in summer against rapid drying and the same to avoid rain or frost. But I used 3m wide scaffolding debris netting and sometimes doubled up. Hessian is not wide enough and is a bugger when its wet.

Saved me many a wash off.

A long time ago someone once told me that renderers would hang massive Hessian blankets over their render, this would reduce curing time making the render stronger. Proof of this was old churches where the render is still solid now after many many years. Don't know how much truth is in this. What say you @Rigsby ?
Anyhoo haven't given this any thoughts for years until I saw this done locally...

View attachment 38661

Had a peek behind the cloth and the render looks faultless.
It bound to it in the shade from the sun lol

I’ve done It before with sand and cement On a really hot day, huge area. Worked well but a lot of hassle.
Yes we used to do it years ago when I was a young en works well. There was a huge roll left on o e of our sites by the brickies so I had to pinch it ha ha

I've used hessian in the past for both curing and to keep the rain off.
For curing I used to get it in place and then soak it with a hose.
For keeping rain off poly sheeting is easier to use but does blow about more and mark any render it touches. If hessian touches the render it just doesn't seem to mark it badly.
I haven't seen the big sheets of hessian in ages though, probably special order.

I've used hessian in the past for both curing and to keep the rain off.
For curing I used to get it in place and then soak it with a hose.
For keeping rain off poly sheeting is easier to use but does blow about more and mark any render it touches. If hessian touches the render it just doesn't seem to mark it badly.
I haven't seen the big sheets of hessian in ages though, probably special order.

Thats the advantages of debris netting. It doesn’t flap about in the wind. Rain water just runs down the vertical strands.