Hardwall Backing

drew wiley

Hi, a novice here and i have such a small job most plasterers wont even come to look.

Recently moved into an old renovated barn, all internal walls are celcon/thermlite blocks and some bright spark decided to chase and backfill hot and cold water pipes into the walls.

I have a 30mm deep, 200mm wide and 6ft long wobbly channel running down my walls. I want to fill and reskim ready for decorating. I have spoken to gypsum who were useless, so im after some advice

1) Is hardwall the best plaster to build up the depth before skimming?
2) do i need to build up using 2 or 3 layers and if so how long between next layer
3) do i need to use pva solution or gypprime before the hardwall to help reduce drying?
4) i was thinking of using some expanded aluminum mesh in the hole to give a bit of strength is this a good idea?
5) Once the backing plaster is in i may not be able to skim it straight after as i work away. It may be left a week before i get to skim, do i need to do any prep to the backing before i skim?

Last edited:
Buy an expanding foam gun, turn it upto maximum then amuse yourself by seeing how far away you can stand while firing into said channel, they really are quite powerful I’d say a good 8 foot away from the wall.
After the expanding foam has expanded and set, file it back with a b*****d file and paint directly onto the now bastardised foam.
Alternatively you could pva, hardwall then skim before it’s gone totally off.
Your welcome

Umm not sure if that’s helpful or not. I think I’d rather do things right rather than adding to the bodges already there.
Your welcome

Is there enough depth to accommodate a thin strip of plasterboard over the channel?

If so stick a piece over and bridge the pipes to avoid cracking due to the warm pipe etc.

Hi, a novice here and i have such a small job most plasterers wont even come to look.

Recently moved into an old renovated barn, all internal walls are celcon/thermlite blocks and some bright spark decided to chase and backfill hot and cold water pipes into the walls.

I have a 30mm deep, 200mm wide and 6ft long wobbly channel running down my walls. I want to fill and reskim ready for decorating. I have spoken to gypsum who were useless, so im after some advice

1) Is hardwall the best plaster to build up the depth before skimming?
2) do i need to build up using 2 or 3 layers and if so how long between next layer
3) do i need to use pva solution or gypprime before the hardwall to help reduce drying?
4) i was thinking of using some expanded aluminum mesh in the hole to give a bit of strength is this a good idea?
5) Once the backing plaster is in i may not be able to skim it straight after as i work away. It may be left a week before i get to skim, do i need to do any prep to the backing before i skim?
Where are you based, would take decent plasterer no time at all

Just fill it with hardwall and pva the hardwall if you have to leave it a few days

Very useful, I don’t suppose you have the instructions knocking around.

About as useful as not replying
You've asked a question, been given a good answer and yet you're still not happy.
In the trade this is known as the ''f**k off you ungrateful b*****d" moment.
At this point the instructions are, f**k off and find your answer elsewhere.

Sorry which was the correct answer?
All of them barring the obvious foam gun joke.
Zombie gave you a very good answer and your response was at best daft, at worst darn right bloody rude.
You have come on a trade forum and had replies from tradesmen at no charge, you should consider yourself very lucky.

All of them barring the obvious foam gun joke.
Zombie gave you a very good answer and your response was at best daft, at worst darn right bloody rude.
You have come on a trade forum and had replies from tradesmen at no charge, you should consider yourself very lucky.

Danny gets paid tho :LOL: