Hardwall vs dot and dab

Members online

Wallwoes

Hey

Plasterer has sand and cemented an external wall. Said it's already 45mm in places but still needs to come out another 20 to 25mm. He's said that now it's waterproof he can now hardwall or dot and dab.

First of all, is that right or should it be sand and cement then skim? If what he's said is OK, which method is preferable?

Cheers

Hey

Plasterer has sand and cemented an external wall. Said it's already 45mm in places but still needs to come out another 20 to 25mm. He's said that now it's waterproof he can now hardwall or dot and dab.

First of all, is that right or should it be sand and cement then skim? If what he's said is OK, which method is preferable?

Cheers
Night everyone

Dot and dab a outside wall am I reading right? If so I'm passing on this one it's Sunday night! Just wallpaper it that'll do pig

Hey

Cheers

I get what u mean. I'd dab it

Hey

Cheers
f**k that it's a extra 25 mm that's nothing with sand and cement get him to bang another scratch on and skim it, don't like that at all putting hardwall on top or board why mix materials do the job right with one application/method!!

Hey

Cheers
If your happy with all this said plasterers work, then why not just let him crack on with what he’s recommended to you!

He had skim angle beads on ready to skim and I was like whoa mate, wall needs to come out another 25mm (long story but it was extremely obvious that it needed another 25mm).

That's why I'm a bit worried that he's trying to do what's easiest instead of what's the best way. Is sand and cement the best way? If so I'll just ask him to do that, he's recommended hardwall at the moment. Cheers

He had skim angle beads on ready to skim and I was like whoa mate, wall needs to come out another 25mm (long story but it was extremely obvious that it needed another 25mm).

That's why I'm a bit worried that he's trying to do what's easiest instead of what's the best way. Is sand and cement the best way? If so I'll just ask him to do that, he's recommended hardwall at the moment. Cheers
If that’s so, then you should have booted him off the job! Where did you get him from?
Has the s&c been floated up?

If the walls are that far out why didn't you just timber frame and insulate instead of arsing around trying to build out with plaster. Just saying .

If the walls are that far out why didn't you just timber frame and insulate instead of arsing around trying to build out with plaster. Just saying .
There’s going to be 65/70mm of s&c on that wall!
A987EE87-41CC-4E13-811E-D01959EDF8C7.gif

Because I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he innocently didn't notice the wall needed to come out more.

I think you're right, should have built a timber frame and insulated in hindsight but I'm not in the trade, so didn't even occur to me until after he'd put the s&c on.

I mentioned to him that I'd happily go ahead with another scratch coat of that's the best way but he's set on hardwall. Will that be OK?

Because I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he innocently didn't notice the wall needed to come out more.

I think you're right, should have built a timber frame and insulated in hindsight but I'm not in the trade, so didn't even occur to me until after he'd put the s&c on.

I mentioned to him that I'd happily go ahead with another scratch coat of that's the best way but he's set on hardwall. Will that be OK?
If its scratched sufficiently, there's a post on here from a disgruntled spread about a customer who's changed his spec lol

Not being funny but you noticed the wall was that far out and you wanted it to be straight and plumb I'm guessing but you didn't think about the weight and depth of materials going on the wall? What did you agree with the plasterer. You seem like a right c**t coming on here when he's half way through the job probably trying to do his best for a t**t of a customer. Metal frame would have been best and quickest option by the sounds of it

Not being funny but you noticed the wall was that far out and you wanted it to be straight and plumb I'm guessing but you didn't think about the weight and depth of materials going on the wall? What did you agree with the plasterer. You seem like a right c**t coming on here when he's half way through the job probably trying to do his best for a t**t of a customer. Metal frame would have been best and quickest option by the sounds of it
There's another solution , I supply an extra thick wallpaper , I'll check my stock levels at the cardboard box pile in tesco later and get back to you for a quote

You've got no idea mate. He was re-doing a wall that another plasterer messed up. Told me to hack it all of because he put his straight edge on it and it wasn't flat and it didn't come out enough.

I put his straight edge on it after his s&c and it's exactly the same as before apart from he's 25mm out on thickness.

Every plasterer I've dealt with has f**k me over, so I now know I've got to keep an eye on them or they just crack on and do a sh!t job.

You've got no idea mate. He was re-doing a wall that another plasterer messed up. Told me to hack it all of because he put his straight edge on it and it wasn't flat and it didn't come out enough.

I put his straight edge on it after his s&c and it's exactly the same as before apart from he's 25mm out on thickness.

Every plasterer I've dealt with has f**k me over, so I now know I've got to keep an eye on them or they just crack on and do a sh!t job.
Might have missed the reason for the depth required ( apart from plumb) ?

Might have missed the reason for the depth required ( apart from plumb) ?

Unlikely but not impossible, that's why I've given him benefit of the doubt. I'll not particularly fussed if it's level but I'd like it flat, especially around the skirting board area.

Unlikely but not impossible, that's why I've given him benefit of the doubt. I'll not particularly fussed if it's level but I'd like it flat, especially around the skirting board area.
Can you post a picture of the wall at the moment with a level and one with a straight edge along the skirting,

Here's one I took the weekend with my fingers visible behind the straight edge

Attachments

• 20190428_121331.jpg
    20190428_121331.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 290
Here's one I took the weekend with my fingers visible behind the straight edge
So the sand and cement is heavily scratched for another base coat , can't really tell from your picture , no understand of why you want more depth

Are the beads set at the right depth , I'm clutching at straws you need better photos , or pm me your telephone number ,

The spreads probably doing the right thing , your just misunderstanding the situation

That's probably because you won't pay a decent plasterer the money they want so you get what you pay for .just saying . Oh yes and your wall is gonna cracking to he'll at that thickness. Imo.

Not worried about paying for a decent plasterer but how do you find one?! Every plasterer I've used had been recommended by someone I know, is there a better way of finding a good plasterer?!

If you think I'll have problems with cracking, am I better off dotting and dabbing?

That's probably because you won't pay a decent plasterer the money they want so you get what you pay for .just saying . Oh yes and your wall is gonna cracking to he'll at that thickness. Imo.
I'm guessing he's waterproofed with s&c and gonna float plumb with hardwall ,
Not worried about paying for a decent plasterer but how do you find one?! Every plasterer I've used had been recommended by someone I know, is there a better way of finding a good plasterer?!

If you think I'll have problems with cracking, am I better off dotting and dabbing?

no phone number no advise ,

An offer of help and you don't accept it , its no wonder many on this forum take the P155 out of such posts , I'll not hold the next poor sod in your position responsible so I'll give up with you

Hey

Cheers
f**k me that’s a thick wall! You could of put a stud wall the for the poor fella in the first place.

I don't give my phone number out to strangers over the internet - who does?!

If you want to help, then why not type some advise?!

Mate, I would have happily put a stud there but I'm not a tradesman, this is my first house, I don't know what to do. If he thought a stud was a better idea he should have suggested it.

Mate, I would have happily put a stud there but I'm not a tradesman, this is my first house, I don't know what to do. If he thought a stud was a better idea he should have suggested it.
I get ya. If you want fixings for like a kitchen solid plastering would be better but if it just any other dab it.

What area are you and these cowboy plasterers in?