Hello From Devon - Help Needed

will369

Hi guys,

My name is Will, I am 28 years old and live in Exeter.

I wasn't sure where to post the below, so if I have posted in the wrong section please move.

I have worked in customer service for 9 years, and it has got to a point where I am not enjoying it.

I have done the right thing and left that job.

I start anew job in a warehouse next week, completely different to what I have been doing.

I feel as tho this is a stop gap.

I have spoken to family and they have suggested I learn a trade.

They started off by saying doing an apprenticeship in plastering. Other have said bin that and do an weeks intensive course.

I am really just after some advice.

Am I too old to be starting this?

If I was to do this course, learn a lot, and enjoy it, how easy is it to get a full time plastering job?

How do I get the job? Do I email companies asking to take me on? Is it not what you know its who you know? Would I rely on a friend in the plastering business to take me on?

Many thanks

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post the below, so if I have posted in the wrong section please move.

I have worked in customer service for 9 years, and it has got to a point where I am not enjoying it.

I start anew job in a warehouse next week, completely different to what I have been doing.

They started off by saying doing an apprenticeship in plastering. Other have said bin that and do an weeks intensive course.

If I was to do this course, learn a lot, and enjoy it, how easy is it to get a full time plastering job?

How do I get the job? Do I email companies asking to take me on? Is it not what you know its who you know? Would I rely on a friend in the plastering business to take me on?

Many thanks
Ring some plasterers local to you and ask them if there looking for a labourer keen to learn the trade and take it from there! You might not like it it's not for everyone (y)

I also forgot to add I am after job security.

I would like to know I will be earning x amount each week. Or a certain amount of hours.

I don’t want to be looking for work each week

Have you done any plastering at all...

Its not going to equip you with much experience or expertise in plastering a weeks course
It is easier if you have a building background or interest in it...

If you want security you may need to seek out someone willing to give you a chance but you may struggle to earn more than a low wage until you have experience

Plastering has given me a living and no big riches to be honest.....
It depends what you are looking for?

Not suppose to put you off and i do wish you luck ...

Have you done any plastering at all...

Its not going to equip you with much experience or expertise in plastering a weeks course
It is easier if you have a building background or interest in it...

If you want security you may need to seek out someone willing to give you a chance but you may struggle to earn more than a low wage until you have experience

Plastering has given me a living and no big riches to be honest.....
It depends what you are looking for?

Not suppose to put you off and i do wish you luck ...

I’ve helped my dad out. But little experience.

As long as I enjoy my work I’d be happy to take home £350 a week.

I’ve helped my dad out. But little experience.

As long as I enjoy my work I’d be happy to take home £350 a week.
As a newbie starting out I personally wouldn’t pay that much others might be different but until you’re plastering to a good enough standard you aren’t earning your employer any money so basically you’re just a pair of hands

Hi guys,

Many thanks
There’s very few decent employed Plastering jobs so you’re realistically looking at being self employed, so that needs consideration. Maybe won’t provide you with the security you need.

Mj Stevens Exeter they might take you on as a apprentice but I doubt it your 2 old just get back in office we all hate our jobs at times!

Hi guys,

Many thanks
Carpenter would be a good one. To many little spreads atm buggering up the trade.

It’s a hard trade to get into at an older age due to the amount you can earn . You’ll be doing as much as a 16 year old apprentice who you only have to pay £150 a week. They can afford to live off that and still learn the trade . I would not take on anyone older for
That reason . I once took a 30 year old bloke
On who left his job in a shop , he told me
He could plaster and would be happy with £250 a week to start with. Well he was s**t and I would of been better off with an apprentice who hadn’t picked up any bad habits and I could teach from scratch and I didn’t have the pressure of covering his money . You may learn how to skim and be able to get on site but you need to be fast . Or if you go domestic you will need years of experience due to all the different aspects you will face such as floating , boarding etc....
if I was you I’d go down the plumbing or electrical route .

I think BT do apprentices, electrics. Think the first year pay is bit crap but fine. Then it goes up to decent. Maybe look into something like if you’re looking for security, pension etc