hello. i'm new

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie_s

I'm 18 and just completed and passed a six week course with the ambition to work as a plasterer. Any advice on how to start out? i dont know what would be best for someone in my situation, E.g go to a company or contact local platerers. any advice appreciated, Thanks!

when i was your age i literally trawled the streets lookin for skips/scaffolding/builders vans and went and found the gaffer...
i did ok for work, the money wasnt fantastic but i could afford to go down the pub, pay my rent etc unlike a whole load of other lads my age who sat down the park/outside the shops moaning about how they never had any cash...
i did whatever i was asked, if i could and if i couldnt i found a way...
i pay my mrs lad 40 quid a day, i only do plastering these days or plastering related jobs..
he tidies, mixes, scrims up, cleans down, final trowels sometimes, flattens off sometimes, pva's, goes down the butty shop...doesnt moan...he's 17...
he's gettin reasonable on the trowel so tomorrow i'll let him lay on a small wall, and finish it..
what im tryin to say is that a 'trainee plasterer', which is what you are, isnt that much use to me, but someone who is prepared to muck in with whatever needs doin, and goes lookin for something to do even when i havent issued him with a written method statement is worth 40 quid...and learns how to plaster for free!
'plastering' companies, be they 1 bloke, or ten blokes generally have all the 'trainees' they need... you might get lucky...
general builders on the other hand can always use a smart, fit young bloke who's prepared to graft, learn and above all, not moan about it...
if i were you i'd target the general builder, small and local...tell em youre prepared to do whatever they need and your pretty handy with a trowel too...show em your shiny new paperwork...
with any luck youll get stuck with another plasterer, learn some handy new tricks and a whole load of other stuff to boot...
do that for a couple of years and see where you are...you might just end up as a kitchen fitting, tiling, plumbing, bricklaying joiner who just happens to be a s**t hot plasterer...the pride of your company and about to take your first big step into the world of 'self employed contractor' :cool:

failing that, stick an add in the local paper and dont f**k up...

alrite mate wat a did was get the yellow pages out write dwn all the local plasterers a cud find n just rang 1 after the next askin if they needed any help n its payed off cos 1 rang me back the other day n offered me a job happydays :)

Status
Not open for further replies.