hello. wannabe plasterer here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj

Hi, hope you can help, 5 years ago i did a college city and guilds plastering course with a view of moving into the trade but basically bottled it and decided to stay where i was (regretted ever since), however the opportunity has arisen for me to take my redundancy and i am looking at entering the trade the second time around, because of the time since i last did the college course i am looking at undertaking one of the intensive courses being offered and i have looked at the goldtrowel nvq course and i was wondering if anybody has any experience of this training organisation or can offer an alternative.
Secondly in the current climate would you advise against entering the industry at the moment or have you not noticed overall reduction in work just a change in the market sector you serve.

Thanks Jason

Its pretty bleak out here at the moment shag!!

If you want to do a course do it, i trained at the building skills center in Yeovil. Great place and would highly recommend them. Just need to try and get in with a spread with experience to go with after the course. That wont be easy in the currant climate but its worth ringing about in your area to see whats about.

Whatever you do good luck fella!

hello jj unfortunately alot of the skill involved in plastering comes from practice ..........which means labouring and not the best wages in the world between £35 and £60 a day ...........you will not become a plasterer doing a course and going alone .save youre money mate, if youre serious about plastering learn with someone ...........youll end up having to do so anyway ;)

Thanks Nicksey for the advice, it is something i will look into after i have done the refresher although i aim to start my bathroom once completed the refresher to give me some practice and then hall landing and stairs, am a little concerned that because of my age (37) some plasterers won't consider me as a labourer as they may think me too old, is there anybody in the Birmingham are looking for a labourer?

Thans

Status
Not open for further replies.