Help!! External Render over existing render

Mxcg2016

Hi All,

I am consodering getting my house rendered with a smooth flat finish. I'm looking to find out whether it is possible or recommended to render over existing rendering. I've attached a picture showing the current texture of my existing render. I'm looking for the best option and dont really know whether stripping the existing render is a good option e.g. want to avoid any potential risk of damaging the bricks underneath, but at the same time want an air tight and long lasting weatherproof finish :).

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200106_005706.jpg
    20200106_005706.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 205
The texture that you have got is highbuild basically a really thick trowel applied textured paint that would have to come off more so than paint, I wouldn't dream of going over highbuild, if the render underneath is soundyou can remove the high built with wallpaper steamers but very time consuming

The texture that you have got is highbuild basically a really thick trowel applied textured paint that would have to come off more so than paint, I wouldn't dream of going over highbuild, if the render underneath is soundyou can remove the high built with wallpaper steamers but very time consuming
Yes its highbuild as tom above said wouldn't be going over that in a hurry no way

Thanks all for your replies. It sounds like it's going to be a tricky job to strip it back. I'm in the process of obtaining quotes to have this done, any ideas on the estimated costs for doing such a job on a 1000 square foot house? I just want to make sure I'm getting a fair price ;-)

The best way to get a fair price is to get at least 3 quotes and see what the general consensus is on the prices given, rendering isn't cheap, I also reccomend you do some research and get recommendations, portfolio etc of rendering work done by who ever you choose, i class rendering as a trade on its own cause not every plasterer can render, a great renderer is getting hard to come by these days so do you homework, hope all turns oit well

Thanks all for your replies. It sounds like it's going to be a tricky job to strip it back. I'm in the process of obtaining quotes to have this done, any ideas on the estimated costs for doing such a job on a 1000 square foot house? I just want to make sure I'm getting a fair price ;-)
F*****g fair price, what a w**k*r it will cost what it cost so either pay it or stop kickin tyres
F*****g fair price
t**t

F*****g fair price, what a w**k*r it will cost what it cost so either pay it or stop kickin tyres
F*****g fair price
t**t
How the f**k can any1 on here give a rough cost as to what it will cost without seeing 1st hand what there up against..absoloute tight arse hes come on here fishing 4 a rough cost so he can put it against honest lads who are going to go look at job

How the f**k can any1 on here give a rough cost as to what it will cost without seeing 1st hand what there up against..absoloute tight arse hes come on here fishing 4 a rough cost so he can put it against honest lads who are going to go look at job
Chances are he’s already got about 5 quotes and the bloke who’s probably gone in cheap needs the graft and this t**t is gonna try n screw him for more then moan like fcuk, if you want rolls Royce quality you pay rolls Royce prices now either put up or shut up and stop wasting tradesmens time and giving lads the run a round

Thanks Stewie03 for the advice. And wow, as for those who don't have the common decency to act civil and comment appropriately, why even write anything in the first place? Pointless Rambling!

Thanks Stewie03 for the advice. And wow, as for those who don't have the common decency to act civil and comment appropriately, why even write anything in the first place? Pointless Rambling!
Too many variables in asking prices there's no flat rates in domestic, go for reputable quality pay a premium,
Go for cheap get s*** same as anything

It’s not about decency how many people do you think come on here asking for prices to compare to what they’ve already been quoted for, and also factor in the lurkers who don’t post but create accounts just to be nosey on threads like this. If I’ve offended you I apologise but I’ve had my time wasted on numerous occasions by people that have already got quotes but are still looking to get it cheaper then either go with the lowest quote after they’ve hammered the price down more and then not happy with the quality or deciding it’s too much to pay keep what they’ve put aside to render their house and then go and put it as a dipper on a new car that’s gonna cost em more in the long run than the render and when they come to sell it it’s cost more than it’s worth and valued at a pittance. That’s just something to mull over and Here Endeth the lesson grasshopper

It’s not about decency how many people do you think come on here asking for prices to compare to what they’ve already been quoted for, and also factor in the lurkers who don’t post but create accounts just to be nosey on threads like this. If I’ve offended you I apologise but I’ve had my time wasted on numerous occasions by people that have already got quotes but are still looking to get it cheaper then either go with the lowest quote after they’ve hammered the price down more and then not happy with the quality or deciding it’s too much to pay keep what they’ve put aside to render their house and then go and put it as a dipper on a new car that’s gonna cost em more in the long run than the render and when they come to sell it it’s cost more than it’s worth and valued at a pittance. That’s just something to mull over and Here Endeth the lesson grasshopper
He will soon have a change of heart when they turn up with ladders and paper

@Mxcg2016 you could state your area and maybe someone of here local can call and price job. Some good renderers on here whowill do a good job
Doubt he's going to want to do that with the replies he's got. Gets a load of s**t for asking a rough price to hack off and render. It's not exactly a crazy question is it lol

It really would be impossible to give a rough price, he wants the high build removing not the render it would be impossible to know what you're up against it might need the render removing it might need different applications it could vary by thousands it's 90 square metres,
The next man's price is always different and someone's gonna lose a contract if people are checking prices around

It really would be impossible to give a rough price, he wants the high build removing not the render it would be impossible to know what you're up against it might need the render removing it might need different applications it could vary by thousands it's 90 square metres,
The next man's price is always different and someone's gonna lose a contract if people are checking prices around
That's fair enough. Yours was the only reasonable answer

Everytime I give a price for hack off I always get it wrong , so easy to stand on the ground looking up and think oh yeah no bother I’ll get all that off in a day or two
The reality when get started is always different but I do enjoy knocking it off