How do you apply your PVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve28

JUst a quick question, I always use a 6" brush to put my pva on the walls but i'm thinking that a roller might be better.
How do yous apply yours? and do you use different for walls and ceilings?

I've used brush roller and spray.
brush is good but slow
roller is quick but messy
spray is fkin useless and keeps clogging

:)

i use a roller on a pole, big one from wickes with a double ended pin..big deep paint kettle/roller tray..

i use a 9 inch roller on a pole from wickes, because u can roll right up to the edges. you dont even have to use a brush :cool:

Used a brush, fed up with PVA running down arm, roller is used almost all the time now.

cannot go wrong with a roller, u decent priced 1 from wickes has lasted me about a year.

good tip for cleaninig them;

soak it in clean water for 5 mins then just run it down a wall really fast, - breeze wall that is.
not inside or on some1s garden

cannot go wrong with a roller, u decent priced 1 from wickes has lasted me about a year.

good tip for cleaninig them;

soak it in clean water for 5 mins then just run it down a wall really fast, - breeze wall that is.
not inside or on some1s garden

never bother cleaning mine, just stick it in a carrier bag (with no holes in) it'll still be good to go weeks later

I pay about £2 from B&Q and get a tray with it then throw it away.
Add it into bill for "other"

disgracefull behaviour dp!!!!! think of the children!! the eco system!!! have you any idea how many millions of millenia it takes for a roller tray to biodegrade!!!!!!!!
billodies gonna be right on yo case mon...

I always mix a shedload of PVA and keep it in a big plastic tub (old trade paint tub) with a snap shut lid. I just keep a roller and brush in the tub and hey presto they never need cleaning, just wipe the handles over before I use them. Only problem with doing this is when you want to vary the ratio of PVA to water. I tend to use a 3:1 or thereabouts anyway. I use a roller except for edges where the brush then does a better job.

One tip for applying PVA is to wrap an old cloth around the handle of your roller or brush and this stops the stuff from getting on your hands and arms. It's bad news when this happens as when it dries it makes you look like you have leprosy or radiation sickness and your skin is flaking off :mad:

disgracefull behaviour dp!!!!! think of the children!! the eco system!!! have you any idea how many millions of millenia it takes for a roller tray to biodegrade!!!!!!!!
billodies gonna be right on yo case mon...

Short fat bloke with grey beard? I'll survive unless he bites my ankles!! ;D

do you do your first coat of pva 24 hours before you start the job,i put my first coat on the same day and i wait an hour or 2 before the second coat then skim. got to be a better way ? :-/

do you do your first coat of pva 24 hours before you start the job,i put my first coat on the same day and i wait an hour or 2 before the second coat then skim. got to be a better way ? :-/

PVA?

Just dillute it to whatever you need, roll it on, use a brush to get into the edges and round sockets.
Get your buckets and water ready.
Give the walls another coat. Have a cuppa.
If it needs it, give it another coat as you get your mix going. (Thats if its really dry walls) Hit it when its tacky.

No need to wait hours, and certainly no need to wait 24 hours.

If the walls keep just eating the stuff, then thicken your PVA mix and roll on again.
You should not ever really need to roll on any surface more than 3 or 4 times. And it will all take about 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.