How long does lime last?

Members online

NewToLime

hello,

Am a complete novice.

Am looking to doing some repointing with NHL 3.5.

Have purchased some Singleton Birch, 25kg bag.

On the bag it states that once opened the lime should be used in 2 days.

As a diy-er I'm never going to use that amount in 2 days.

I have wrapped up the open bag in plastic bag so it doesn't get wet.

Is it ok to keep the lime like this? And how long can I keep it like this for?

How would I know if the lime had a problem? Would it degrade or start solidifying?

Any advice gladly received, thanks in advance.

hello,

Am a complete novice.

Am looking to doing some repointing with NHL 3.5.

Have purchased some Singleton Birch, 25kg bag.

On the bag it states that once opened the lime should be used in 2 days.

As a diy-er I'm never going to use that amount in 2 days.

I have wrapped up the open bag in plastic bag so it doesn't get wet.

Is it ok to keep the lime like this? And how long can I keep it like this for?

How would I know if the lime had a problem? Would it degrade or start solidifying?

Any advice gladly received, thanks in advance.
It goes all lumpy but you can crush it back up

As said it should be OK but when you are raking out the joints keep some of the old mortar crush it and put a bit in each mix you do. This will help the new gear blend in better and also act as a pozzolan which will help it cure.

As said it should be OK but when you are raking out the joints keep some of the old mortar crush it and put a bit in each mix you do. This will help the new gear blend in better and also act as a pozzolan which will help it cure.

nice idea that

a few years ago I was watching some plasterers lime render a house and it was stunning it looked so good when completed (think I posted a pic here in the past) then a weeek later the roads flooded and it is now screwed and looks terrible

nice idea that

a few years ago I was watching some plasterers lime render a house and it was stunning it looked so good when completed (think I posted a pic here in the past) then a weeek later the roads flooded and it is now screwed and looks terrible

It was a 80 year old stone mason who told me to do it years ago and it also helps if you can get sand that is sourced as locally to the property as possible.

It was a 80 year old stone mason who told me to do it years ago and it also helps if you can get sand that is sourced as locally to the property as possible.

That sort of stuff is what I like... using old to make new look old and in place...