How thin can a bonding coat be?

Members online

No members online now.

cybervic

Hi guys,
Does anyone knows if there's a minimum thickness of bonding coat if the wall is to be 1.skimmed & painted, and 2.skimmed + tiled. I went through several google pages with different keywords and couldn't really any answer on this one.

I'd really like to have a full size dishwasher in my kitchen and full size bathtub in bathroom. The measurement is suggesting the spaces are just about right if assuming overall plater thickness is no more than 10mm, ideally I"m thinking 3-5mm bonding + 2-3mm for multi, is that possible?

Hi guys,
Does anyone knows if there's a minimum thickness of bonding coat if the wall is to be 1.skimmed & painted, and 2.skimmed + tiled. I went through several google pages with different keywords and couldn't really any answer on this one.

I'd really like to have a full size dishwasher in my kitchen and full size bathtub in bathroom. The measurement is suggesting the spaces are just about right if assuming overall plater thickness is no more than 10mm, ideally I"m thinking 3-5mm bonding + 2-3mm for multi, is that possible?
Why are you bonding?

Hi guys,

Depends on the state of original walls but well achievable

The backgrounds would be brick wall, currently still have grey colour bonding+skim coat plastered in the 60s/70s. Double-tiled top to bottom so I removed the tiles and surface is very uneven now. I'm contemplating if I should hack all plaster off and re-plaster all over to get the thickness I want.

The backgrounds would be brick wall, currently still have grey colour bonding+skim coat plastered in the 60s/70s. Double-tiled top to bottom so I removed the tiles and surface is very uneven now. I'm contemplating if I should hack all plaster off and re-plaster all over to get the thickness I want.

Hack back n dab 9.5mm board

thanks, I may be over thinking this, but will a thin bonding coat unable to hold tiles? will it also cracked easier on painted finished?

Hack off to brick and dab plasterboard on. Better and stronger surface for tiling. Easier to get flatter too. Can tank it if worried about moisture.

The whole flat has grey undercoat on brick all, they are definitely not sand cement, several builder says it's bonding from 50 years ago. I said bonding+skim for tiling because it's the only combination I have done before for tiling so far.

The whole flat has grey undercoat on brick all, they are definitely not sand cement, several builder says it's bonding from 50 years ago. I said bonding+skim for tiling because it's the only combination I have done before for tiling so far.

Skimming bonding if tiling is not needed. You’ll then just be tiling onto a few mm off skim as it can come away from the bonding. Same reason you don’t skim board if tiling.

Use bonding and get it flat don’t try smoothing it. Give it a scratch too then tile onto that

Hi guys,

I have skimmed walls with a 2_3mm coat of bonding thousands of times, no problem. Use a grit for grip.
Guys it says on bonding selector guide, if you use grit on brickwork it is OK. For multi different surfaces if grit is used. Read its spec.

I have skimmed walls with a 2_3mm coat of bonding thousands of times, no problem. Use a grit for grip.
Guys it says on bonding selector guide, if you use grit on brickwork it is OK. For multi different surfaces if grit is used. Read its spec.
What about those that can’t read?

What about those that can’t read?
fast-reading-gif.gif

Hi guys,

6mm hardy backer boards bathroom the kitchen smash of and build out to a thickness you want just make sure your prep is good enough.